Teaching summer school?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Jan 10, 2009.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 10, 2009

My district just sent out an email about teaching summer school, which is something I never thought about. If you have taught summer school, did you like it? What are the pros and cons?

I honestly can't imagine coming up with new lesson plans and ideas for a new group of kids during the summer. I feel like when this school year is over, I'll want to take a long break, and then start fixing all the little "glitches" I encountered during my first year. Do you get bored during the summer?

3. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jan 10, 2009

My recommendation would be for a first year teacher to take a breather. If financially you need to work during the summer at a second job, summer school is probably your best choice. In my district, teachers don't create lesson plans for summer school. They are already done for the teachers and the pay is $20.00/hour. For us, summer school only lasts around 18 days so there is still a lot of summer left.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2009

I agree with Dallas.

In my school, it's done differently. Summer school is a one week session. It runs four hours a day, plus homework. The kids receive a concentrated review of the course. It's not intended as a time to teach material, merely to review a course the kid has already taken.

At the end of the week, the kids take a final exam, similar to the ones we give in June. Any student who does not pass that exam has failed out of school.

The money is good, and it's one week of my time. I do it evey year.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jan 11, 2009

Our summer school is only 8 weeks long, so there are still a couple of weeks of vacation left. We have to write our own lessons, but they tell us up front they are more "lax" about it -- it doesn't have to be a full-out lesson plan -- just a summary of what you are going to be doing and nobody ever comes by to check it.

Summer school is a lot of fun, but there are two things to remember. First, while it is a smaller class, these are ALL students who did not succeed during the school year. This means many of them have behavior issues. Many more are not "interested" in learning -- they are there because their parents don't want them to fail. Second, parents can try to put a lot of pressure on you, if summer school is the difference between their child going on to the next grade or not. THat is only the case with a coiuple of students each year, but those parents can make things mighty unpleasant if you aren't good at dealing with difficult parents.

In our district, there are always more teachers who want to teach summer school than positions, so they go by seniority. It is incredibly rare for a new teacher to get summer school, unless they are willing to go to another (less desireable) school the first few times.

Also, don't count on being in your own classroom. They often cluster all of the summer school classes into one small area of the school (so the custodians can do heavy cleaning of the rest of the building) so you are basically working out of a box.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 11, 2009

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll need to ask around and see how things are done in my district. They have a "ready for kindergarten" class that I might be interested in, but I might just want to relax.

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2009

If you desperately need the extra money then do it. I have taught summer school for the past 5 years to have extra money to help pay for tuition for having 2 kids in Catholic high school. My middle child is graduating this year so I "retired" from summer school at the end of last year. Summer school is definately more lax and is not as demanding as the regular school year.

8. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jan 12, 2009

I taught summer school for many years.....it is way more work at our district than the regular year. We can do fun stuff as long as it's educational, but they don't give any curriculum to us. However, many years they give us a lame theme and expect us to work that in. ugh. I always cleared about $1800 for 4 weeks of work. I didn't teach it last summer due to having a new baby and a school age child who did not want to attend. It was the best, longest summer ever! I will never teach summer school again!

9. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jan 12, 2009

I am teaching in our summer program. It is only a week and is more of a fun program. However, it usually involves an overnight somewhere ( aquarium, museum, ect) It pays $1000 net for the week so I don't mind doing it.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 12, 2009

I've done summer school years and years ago and really enjoyed it, the kids are needy and for the most part really appreciate. There were some discipline problems but not too bad. It's great money.

A lot of teachers start teaching summer school their last working years to get their income up as high as they can so their retirement checks will be based higher on another level.

11. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 13, 2009

When I was a student teacher i did summer school. Never again. It was exhusting and I hadn't even taught all year -- I was still in college. Now, as a second year teacher, I realzie I need that time to refresh myself and live out some of my non teacher dreams (ie: finishing my novel, travelign to scotland, etc)

12. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Jan 13, 2009

I love teaching summer school. I get to teach a grade at the other end of the school spectrum for a few weeks. Our summer school is four weeks, four days a week, half-days. We get paid about $1000. I don't have to do detailed lesson plans. We do morning meeting, math, reading groups, writing, and storytime. The only things I dislike about summer school are that I am not in my regular classroom (we all go to one building) and it can get HOT!

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2009

I have never done summer school so don't know.... I have thought about it, though. There's a resort that I work at during the summers, so I don'tknow if I ever would teach during the summer because I am always in constant need of money (and summer school is so short).

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 14, 2009

Maybe I'll just take this summer off, and consider it next year. I chose to receive 24 paychecks, so I still get paid in the summer. I guess we don't have union dues during summer, so I'll actually get paid more than I do during the school year. I feel like I could probably find a lot to do during my time off!

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2009

I will be happy when I finally land a permanent teaching position and be able to take the summer off. Right now I have to keep my job at the resort during the summer so I don't have to worry about making money in the summer if I am only subbing during the school year....

16. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

I hope I can teach summer school at my school this year. My only fears are:

1. It will be competitive; meaning too many will want to do it and since I'm new to the school, I will lose out.

2. It will be a lot of work for not great pay, but I'm not sure on this yet. I hope it pays more than tutoring.

17. Miss_G

Miss_G New Member

Jan 24, 2009

Summer School

Summer school in my district is only opened to tenured teachers anyway because the demand is so high. It's 8 weeks and the biweekly pay is actually more than I bring home during two weeks during a regular school year.

I applied to teach this year in the hopes that I'll get to teach a different grade-level/subject than I currently do just to mix it up a little. They provide us with kits that are similar to what we use during the school year, but with more flexibility. There are still observations, but it's a three hour day.

Last year I didn't apply, but instead chose to just take workshops for pay instead of credit. It worked out well, but I'd like to buy a house next year, so I'm really looking for some extra cash to put away.

18. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 24, 2009

When I first started teaching, I couldn't fathom teaching summer school. I really, really needed the break. Then, one summer I was dealing with some tough personal stuff and needed to do something "different" in the summer so I signed up for summer school. It was really easy. Only a half day and a very boiled down curriculum. Basically just reading and math. They gave us lots of curriculum materials, but I brought lots of stuff from my own classroom. I was assigned to a school across the city from me - not my own school. It lasted only 4 weeks and I had a small class, which was really nice.

Now that I have my son, I won't teach summer school anymore. Summers are for fun!

19. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009

I am thinking about teaching summer school this year. My principal is in charge of one group... we will see. It lasts for about a month here, and is only 1/2 a day.

20. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2009

I definitely could not have taught summer school after my first year. I needed the break more than you can imagine. This is now my 3rd year of teaching and I am looking forward to teaching summer school for the first time. I subbed 2 days of summer school last summer and I liked the set-up my district has (2 teachers in a room with no more than 16 kids). It also gave me a chance to learn more about the ways that other people in my district teach.

21. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2009

I taught summer school at the school where I currently teach for just about 10 years. The longer I did it, the more I realized I needed a break..

Fortunately I got married and didn't need the money as much so I was able to take the summer off and then I had a child, so there was no possibility of me working in the summer.

I think if you've never done it, it might be a good thing to do to see if you like it. It's only one summer, it's not the whole summer, and if you really need a break and can afford to take the time off, then you should do that too. You have to look at what your situation is and decide for yourself.

22. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 25, 2009

I taught summer school for many years when I first started teaching, it was 6 fun weeks, and I did great creatie activities with the kids, I loved it. Now that I have kids though, it does not pay to do it.

23. OnlineTeacher

OnlineTeacher Rookie

Feb 16, 2009

Don't Teach Summer-School

I completely agree with everyone who suggested against teaching summer school. If it's about the money, and you don't have a burning desire to spend your summer sweating it out in a classroom...there are so many better ways to make money.

I feel so strongly about this topic that I've written an article about it. I will post it soon. Until then, take the advice of staying true to You this summer. :)

24. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Feb 16, 2009

I don't have a burning desire, but I do like returning to the school I always teach at in the summer. I have my pick of classes at this point because I am pretty sure I am one of few who continue to teach in the summer. I teach one or two classes for just one session. I grade based on attendance, tests, and participation. Participation involves doing homework and activities during class. Basically if you think you will pass by sitting there you will fail. I base all of my plans off the teaching map for the year and we just dive in. I am planning on doing it again this year. I use the money to pay for my vacation. It's wonderful. Did I mention it's only 4 hours a day for two weeks?

25. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Feb 17, 2009

I enjoy teaching summer school. It is way more laid back, and a much shorter day (3-4 hours at the places I've taught) This past summer I did a stint as a teacher at our outdoor ed place. It paid the same as a classroom summer school job, except I got to have a nature center as my classroom!

This summer I will teach summer school again!

26. ImaSuperTeacher

ImaSuperTeacher Rookie

Feb 18, 2009

I have already informed my principal of my intentions to teach summer school.

Last year was my first year of teaching and I taught summer school. I had a blaast teaching just one subject (MATH) but to two different age groups. (4th grade in the morning, 5th grade in the afternoon.)

Our summer school was only 20ish days (I say ish because of the TAKS test in Texas). I was paid well ($3000) and I enjoyed it because it was so laid back!

27. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Feb 18, 2009

FWIW, my grad school classroom management professor told us in class the other night that the #1 way for a new teacher to avoid burnout is not to teach summer school...

28. OnlineTeacher

OnlineTeacher Rookie

Feb 20, 2009

avoid it like the plague

I would suggest you avoid teaching summerschool like the plague. Make money a different way. Enjoy your summer, take a break from teaching so that you are fresh for September and you don't burn out.