Teaching students about arrarys

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms. Jane, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Nov 4, 2007

Does anybody know a good way to help my students remember the order of arrays? I think they are going to have a hard time remember which number is horizontal ard which is vertical. The students have to know this for their end of year tests. Thanks!

3. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Nov 4, 2007

wow. we were told that it didn't matter way they made their own arrays. in multiplication if you switch the numbers, the answer is still the same.

but you could have them do it alphabetically...h comes first so you need to do the horizontal first. just a thought.

LC

4. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Nov 5, 2007

To correctly label an array, you name first the rows then the columns. I act as if I were a cheerleader in front of my kids. I place my hands in front of me... parallel to each other in a horizontal manner. Then I say to the kids, "OK, rows and columns. Yah, rows and columns. Yah, Yah!" As I say the colums, I move my hands to be parallel with each other still but vertical. Seriously, we do a chant with the hand/arm movements and I don't have a single kid not remember the correct way to label. I even saw a couple of them make the hand/arm motions during the test. :)

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 5, 2007

So a blank standard index card divided into square inches shows a 3x5 array if it's in "landscape" mode but a 5x3 array if it's in "portrait" mode?

6. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Nov 5, 2007

Thanks for the great ideas!