Teaching spelling/sight words

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by clynns, Oct 16, 2011.

1. clynns

clynns Companion

Oct 16, 2011

Hello fellow K teachers! I am having a hard time this year though it seems that it's rather common this year. Our Kindergarten is really high demanding on our students. A bit too much if I'm asked about it. However, part of the requirements is to read at a very high level and to have a great knowledge of sight/spelling words. My kids are really struggling to learn these words. I'm at my wits end on how to get the kids to learn to read and write out sight/spelling words. What have you found successsful in teaching spelling words? Thanks a ton!

3. clynns

clynns Companion

Oct 16, 2011

oops successful

4. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Oct 16, 2011

In our district, the kids need to know how to read them, but not spell them. I have a huge word wall that we read often and teach them to look at it when writing. I also squeeze in extra practice with flash card games, lit center activities, etc. etc.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 16, 2011

What kinds of tactile practice do the kids get?

6. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 17, 2011

Sight Words with Samson! This program is perfect for you. Its a web-based program that helps kids learn their sight words. I started using it three years ago and my kids are doing awesome. It uses a ton of repetition and the kids love the games. Many kids go home and play online, which is just extra practice. I would definitely check this out. Just google "Samson's Classroom." It'll pop right up. Good luck this year.

7. SBP0429

SBP0429 Rookie

Oct 18, 2011

We have our sight words as part of the students homework. They have something each night to do with the words. (3 nights each week) Also, one of my centers is specifically for sight words. The students have the 3 homework words for the week, and they have to spell them with magnetic letters, and then write them on the dry erase boards. I go over them in reading groups, as well. Also, I have sent home the notes and reminders for the parents to review the words constantly....after all this many of my students still do not know many...so I def. can see that it is frustrating!

8. MNTeacher

MNTeacher Rookie

Oct 31, 2011

Centers

I use literacy centers in my classroom. One of the centers is always a sight word center. We find them around the room, we play games with them, make the words out of playdough, draw them in shaving cream...Here are a couple of website that has lots of fun games with sight words

http://www.theschoolbell.com/Links/Dolch/Contents.html

http://www.kidscount1234.com/

I also use this site. It has easy readers and sight word easy readers. There are also word family activities on this site too.

http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/sight_words.html

It does take a while to assemble some of the games, but once they are assembled, you have them for next year! I just continue to add a couple each year.

9. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Nov 17, 2011

Samson's Classroom is great. It allows me to track each kids process and helps me pinpoint areas kids need extra help in. The kids love it to and they are learning their words at a great clip. Great program.

10. SBP0429

SBP0429 Rookie

Dec 2, 2011

I also have started an ice cream party to motivate the students to learn sight words,etc. (they get a spoon for uppercase letter, bowl for lowercase letters, one scoop of ice cream for sounds, 2 scoops for 10 sight words, sprinkles for 20 words, chocloate syrup for 30 words, and gummy bears for 40 words.) I put the pictures of each things when they achieve it for them to see as a visual and motivate them. I also sent a note home telling parents about it, so that they would encourage their child to learn them. I use it often as a reminder when we are reviewing things in class to get them to pay attention, etc. We will have the party later in the year.

11. dedastarr

dedastarr Rookie

Dec 20, 2011

Hello SBP0429 - I was hoping you could attach a picture or send a link to your classroom website if you have a photo of how you display your sundae board with the skills they go with. I would love to implement this in my class, but I am very visual and a picture would definitely help me out. Thank you for the great idea!

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 21, 2011

What a treat for those kids with disabilities and undiagnosed disabilities! They get to watch others eat ice cream they won't have because their deficits get in the way! Good way to start beating down those for which academics is not their strong point. Way to raise the anxiety for those kids where it just isn't happening fast enough.

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 21, 2011

I don't like the idea of posting it for the whole class to see. Even in kindergarten kids will start to brag and bully the kids that aren't as far along as other kids. So much of it at this age is truly developmental and based on home life. Kids who weren't exposed to reading and letters prior to school are already at a disadvantage and then if their parents are still not helping them they are even further behind.

I send home flashcards of the words with lots of suggested activities for practice. We practice them as flashcards, reading the word wall, sky write, rainbow write, use them in sentences to read and write, use sight word readers to support reading thw words in context, write them on whiteboards, use them in write the room, hide and seek words (post words in odd places and have them "hunt" for them and write them on a clipboard), write words in sand, trace words on sand paper or felt with their fingers. For some kids who are really not developmentally ready, they participate in whole class practice, but I meet with them to work on the things that are most beneficial for them and then we will add in sight words later, when they are ready to learn them.

14. Chicago Heather

Chicago Heather Rookie

Dec 22, 2011

I love all the suggestions. I would just print out sight word flashcards, punch a hole in one corner and then put them on a metal ring. The kids could tote them around that way and take them home to show the parents. I'd introduce three new words a day and then add those cards to their ring. With enough exposure, they'd get it.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 22, 2011

Interesting approach to one's colleagues, though possibly not very productive.