Teaching Spelling is Prohibited!

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Bumble, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

Today I found out that we are NOT allowed to teach spelling. Maybe that is why our kids can't spell! What are your thoughts on this? Is spelling prohibited at any of your schools? I just don't get it.

3. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 30, 2009

Do they call it phonics instead? Maybe they incorporate spelling into their writing program when proofreading. You can't teach writing, editing, etc. without correcting spelling mistakes.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2009

Are you prohibited from teaching spelling at all, or are you being asked to incorporate spelling instruction in context not as a separate entity? We are encouraged to address spelling within our reading and writing programs, not to do it in isolation as the students retain what they learn if it is more meaningful.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2009

There's got to be more to it than simply outlawing the teaching of spellilng. It must mean that your school prefers a particular approach over another.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2009

Do you mean during your uninterrupted reading block?

7. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

I guess they want us to teach it in context, but our kids can't spell so it isn't working.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 30, 2009

I give my students spelling activities to do during morning work. Each student gets their own spelling words that I get off of a list and from their written work. They have to finish their spelling activity before the end of the day. I give them a spelling test during morning work time on Friday's (I only have 8 students so I go from desk to desk to test) and the words they get wrong are included on their Monday spelling list.

9. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

We are not allowed to do this even though it probably works. :(

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 30, 2009

Hmmmm....I thought maybe you could have snuck it in since you wouldn't be directly teaching them spelling;).

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2009

What has the school done in the past that they feel isn't working? How do they suggest building spelling skills in the students?

12. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

I start induction next week, which is an introduction to the core curriculum and school district policy for 1st year teachers. I only taught science for a half of a year last.

13. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 30, 2009

I had individualized spelling the last three years in my multiage classroom. I plan to continue that in fourth grade this year. I didn't have a designated Spelling instruction of spelling in the past, but may set aside a few minutes a week/day to go over words that the class is having difficulty with in their writing. All of my students will have 10 different spelling words that they are unable to spell. It may not seem like very many words, but when we test the week before students get their word list based on their ability to correctly spell their words or not.

14. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Aug 8, 2009

I have the opposite problem. Until last year, we were made to teach spelling from a workbook and students were even given seperate grade for it on the report card! We worked to change that and things are better now.

Is there a veteran teacher in your building or someone who has a strength in literacy who could tell you how they do it?

15. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 8, 2009

I haven't been to my school yet, besides driving around the surrounding area, so I haven't met anyone from the school. I spoke to the P for my summer school placement about this and he said, "as long as you're teaching the students something, then go for it, but it all depends on your administration." I WISH I could teach at that school during the year. The P is awesome. I can't even get a hold of the new P for my school. I'm getting really nervous.