Teaching Speech

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by dgpiaffeteach, Jul 21, 2011.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

There has been mention that I may have one section of speech this year. I've never taken any classes about teaching speech nor did I have to take speech in high school. I've only taken one speech class in college. Any advice or tips?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 21, 2011

Your state should have content standards for speech somewhere; you could also Google "lesson plans speech ohio" or rummage around for the state association of speech teachers (yes, there's bound to be one) and see whether its Web site has anything useful.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

Thanks, TeacherGroupie! Part of my problem right now is I don't know what standards the school uses. It's a private school so I'm not sure if they use our state standards, common core, or something different. I do not believe speech is required in the state of Ohio. I did not have to take it in HS and the HS I student taught at did not offer it either.

I haven't come up with much that I've enjoyed via google yet but have only been surfing around for a couple days so I'm hoping there's still something out there! I'm mostly nervous about having to evaluate the speeches.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

There are tons of rubrics online for evaluating speeches. My Speech 1 class covered more communication skills (interviews, conversations, etc.) than public speaking.

6. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jul 21, 2011

A book I love

I book I love that I've used is Public Speaking Handbook from Allyn & Bacon by Beebe & Beebe. It's well organized, breaks everything down, and has lots of idea.

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2011

8. dovian

dovian Comrade

Jul 21, 2011

I took speech in high school. Much of it is fuzzy but I know we had all of our speeches recorded (on VHS!!!!!) and we were supposed to watch them (but I never did). I remember we had to do a demonstration, informational, graduation speech, persuasive . . . can't remember what else.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

Dovian, I think that's what I was planning on doing was dividing it up between the different types of speeches. I know that's what we did in college. I just remember hating listening to other people's speeches. One girl did a how to for grilled cheese. I'd been making grilled cheese for years :dizzy: So I definitely don't want to get into things where the rest of the students will be bored/not get anything out of it.

10. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Jul 21, 2011

I took Speech senior year of high school, here is what I remember from the course:

we did eulogies, mock interviews, informative speech, instructional/demonstrative speech, persuasive speech and a debate.

we did read, we read: canterbury tales, hamlet, and 1984 (i don't know what the books had to do with the course, other than the fact that the teacher probably needed to assign reading and just chose those books)

we also did resume writing

hope that helps.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

I hadn't thought about incorporating resume/interviewing but that would probably be a really good thing to include!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2011

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2011

I took it in high school as well. We did a lot of the same informative, demonstration. I remember we had to do a memorization speech that had to be like a minute and a half long. I remember we also had to do a group speech where we were all responsible for different parts of it.

We were graded on our notes of our speech, our posture, our eye contact, speaking clearly, hitting our time marks I think most of our speeches had to be 2-3 mins.

I took a speech class in college as well & we had to have audio cassette that the teacher would record our speeches on. The best part about that class is at random our teacher would hand out a grading sheet to like 3 people in class. The would critique you on your speech other than just the teacher. It was helpful to get "others" thoughts about it as well!!!