"Teaching Solutions" test prep a waste?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Sitri, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Sitri

Sitri Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

Hello all.

I am going to be taking the AEPA Biology test very soon and decided to buy one of the google advertised "get the inside scoop" test prep courses. This company, Teaching Solutions, seems to have a lot of different test study guides and boast about a huge pass rate. So far I have not been very impressed with my purchase and wanted to know what others thought of it.

So far I have noticed two instances of less than 100% accurate information, two grammar errors, one typo (answer C: Both A and C instead of Both A and B), all the pictures that don't look like they were drawn on an old version of MSPaint are taken from Wikipedia, and this 2006 copyrighted document only has two listings in the bibliography and they are dated 1994 and 1998.

I would really like to think "maybe this test just hasn't changed much in the last few years and all the test questions they supply really nail the major portion of the test," but my gut tells me "I have really been screwed over."

I was hoping someone out there may have used Teaching Solutions or has taken the AEPA Biology test and could comment and ease my mind, or let me know I need to try something new. I haven't taken a Biology class in about four years, so I am kind of knocking the dust off of my brain on this one.

Thanks

PS I tried to do a search for this companies name on this forum but it didn't come up, sorry if this is repetitive here.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

I haven't taken AEPA Biology, but I did take California's CSET Biology which is similar. In general, the experience with commercial study guides for teacher tests reported by posters here is disappointing. There tends to be a lot of boiler plate and not necessarily a good mapping to the actual test. IMHO the best way to spend your timne preparing for a test like this is to master the content, not taking somebody's practice tests. What I did to prepare for CSET Biology was to start with the information on the NES (Pearson) website as an outline and roll my own study guide using print and web resources. If it is in the AEPA Biology Study Guide, or implied by it, it is fair game. If not, it won't be on the test. FWIW it looks like if you know what is in an Arizona adopted high school biology book you will be fine.

4. Sitri

Sitri Rookie

Jul 7, 2009

That is really what I was afraid of.

I dated a prof of pharmacy in GA for a while and found out from her that they temporarily suspended their PCAT qualifications for a while because someone had made such a streamline study guide for it.

I had kind of hoped that most people selling these guides were people doing similar research, but I can't say I am surprised to hear that they are not.

Thanks for the heads up.

5. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 8, 2009

I was just looking at this site to study for the social studies praxis.

6. Sitri

Sitri Rookie

Jul 9, 2009

If you have already bought it, what does it look like? If not, I couldn't recommend it.

Yesterday I asked for my money back, but I don't think I will have much luck. I referenced all the problems here plus the fact that I never received the "competitor's study guide" that was part of the deal and which I had asked for twice. Additionally I noted that Scientific Inquiry, which is 22% of my test, is not addressed at all in their study guide. When I did they sent me a link to the wikipedia article for Scientific Inquiry and two pages that look like the outline for two middle school experiments. At that point I knew this whole thing had to be a complete crock.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2009

If you paid with a credit card, and they do not refund your money, you can ask your credit card company to do a charge back...

8. history

history Companion

Feb 24, 2016

I know this is an old post but does anyone know if they changed their ways ( better and up to date) for the ftce professional education test?

9. Queet

Queet Rookie

Aug 7, 2016

Hi, did you ever find any material for the professional exam yet?

10. PointDragon

PointDragon Rookie

Oct 26, 2016

I purchased a "teaching solutions" product for the math 5161 and it was terrible; lots of errors. They automatically begin auto-billing your credit card for "tutoring", which I did not want. I've heard stories that the "tutoring" is email responses to questions, and these emails are not answered in a timely manner, and merely contain links to other sources. They do not answer the phone number given, and I am awaiting a response from them for my refund request.
    Again, the materials were terrible; lots of errors!