Teaching Social Studies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sweetlatina23, Jan 31, 2011.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 31, 2011

I am pretty sure I have asked this before, but here I am asking again.

I teach social studies and most of my students are ELL's. Reading the chapters in the books are okay once in a while, but they really don't understand what they are reading. I normally use the information and create a powerpoint over the subject. What are some examples of other ways to introduce the subject? So many of my coworkers assign the reading for homework, but I know they don't read it. The few that are reading it, might not be comprehending what is being read. I want them to learn it. Powerpoints are great, but not for everday use.

Any ideas?

3. tortega

tortega Rookie

Jan 31, 2011

Start by using KWL chart or opinion sheet or something else to peek interest. If they have very little background or you have no realia, show a documentary or clip to give them a background and introduce vocabulary. Gather books at different reading levels on the topic, non-fiction, kid's magazine articles, historical fiction, (the magic treehouse series has just about everything.) Even the very simplest book will most likely cover major themes and important vocabulary. Split your kids into groups and have them research different elements using their on level books. If you were doing an unit on Egypt one group could do religion, another could do agricultural, another could do family life, etc. Give them a several days and explicit instructions. A couple days for reading and making notes (give them a sheet with questions to find answers to and important vocabulary to look for.) Give them some type of project to complete as a group, a short report were everyone writes a paragraph. and a poster or art project, etc. Then have them present to the class. Because everyone has a book at their level they all can participate and be an asset to the group. And of course ELL's need a lot of experience reading, writing, and specking for their english language development.

4. bondo

bondo Cohort

Jan 31, 2011

"So many of my coworkers assing the reading for homework." :lol:

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 31, 2011

SweetLatina, have you ever heard of Project CRISS? They have some fantastic strategies for all learners that might really help you. It's a little pricey, but if you're school is willing to send you to the training, you can become a trainer for your district. I use so much of their stuff in my class.

You can actually order the training manual through Amazon. Project CRISS Strategies.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 31, 2011

Are you looking to alternatives to lecture?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2011

Can you find texts or websites of an easier readability for these kids to learn the content?

8. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 31, 2011

lol thanks fixed it:D

9. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 31, 2011

Thank you so much. I normally do show a few clips that I find on netflix, but I never thought of showing them at the beginning. Thats a smart idea, thank you so much.

10. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 31, 2011

Thats what I have been doing. The book is great for the visuals, but the content is just too difficult for them.