Teaching Social Skills to Teens

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Emily Bronte, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 14, 2006

I am in need of any social skills lessons that anyone has for teenagers. Respect and/or empathy would be a good place to start. Thank you in advance!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 14, 2006

With teenagers I would think they need ETHIC dilemmas (particularly ones pertaining to friends/family and work environments).

4. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Oct 14, 2006

At a school I taught at before Hurricane Katrina, we were teaching SCORE. It's a social skills training for middle school. SCORE is an acronymn. I wish I could remember.... Some of the stuff was a little cheesy, but it had a purpose. I remember something have to do with compliment and eye contact, but I don't remember it all. We taught it for 2 weeks, then Katrina came and everything was gone. So I can't tell you if it was effective or not. Maybe you can google it. We had packets that our principal had run off.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 14, 2006

Someone once complimented me on my strong eye contact and suggested that it will be more than helpful when interviewing for jobs. I didn't tell the person that..umm...I'm deaf and I read lips so I have to look at you all day long. HA!

6. TeachBD

TeachBD Rookie

Oct 17, 2006

There is a FREE PROGRAM that Tiger Woods has available through TARGET. Go to Target's website and search for "Start Something". It is a neat program with all the necessary materials sent right too you for free......it also has the potential for students and schools to earn grant $$ after completing the program!

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 18, 2006

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I will give those suggestions a "look see". I am in for anything that I can get for free definitely!