Teaching Sixth Grade ELA and SS???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nstructor, May 16, 2022.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

May 16, 2022

Do you have any advice? I've only ever taught ELA and because of class sizes, I'll have to teach SS next year. I'm very nervous!!!!!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 16, 2022

You will do fine. A lot of the work in SS is based on reading, as opposed to, say, doing science experiments or teaching math. When I subbed, SS was always an easy fit because I was comfortable with ELA as well as Science. I'm sure that you will have help getting started. Best of luck!

nstructor and Violetta like this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 18, 2022

My only certification is English, but I spent the last five years teaching English through social studies topics. It was my favorite. I was even part of a program that did immersive history for English teachers. It was great.

nstructor likes this.
  5. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

May 18, 2022

Thanks-that makes me feel better!

6. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

May 18, 2022

I appreciate your response!

7. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

May 19, 2022

Work on facilitating discussion skills. Too often a class discussion turns into a small group discussion - the teacher and a few of the top students. The rest of the class tries to hide. Consider:

1) Wait time - Tell students to sit on their hands (or grab sides of chair/desk). Explain you will ask a question about ______ , but no one is allowed to answer. Next, explain you will count to ten silently (slow). After ten, you say, “Hands”. Now students may raise their hand to answer. Idea here is to allow everyone, especially the shy and less assertive, to form their answer versus Smarty Pants who always blurts out. Students think, Why should I try? You always call on SP anyway.

2) Redirecting Smarty Pants - You want to include SP but don’t want them monopolizing discussions. Call on SP but say, “SP, I want you to choose a quiet hand (another student) and be prepared to paraphrase their answer.” This includes SP and gives them a higher level skill, paraphrasing.

3) Student when called on says, “I don’t know or gestures with body ‘huh?’” This is a game some students play to get out of the lesson. Instead, say, “Larry, I want you to find the answer to the question ‘_____ ?’ It’s on page 56, third paragraph. Do that, and I’ll come back to you.” Continue with discussion while allowing Larry time to find the answer. Then, come back to Larry for answer. Often a reason students don’t participate is because they don’t want to look stupid in front of peers. If they shrug off a request no one will know for sure what they don’t know, and they save self-image. Also, when asking questions always say student’s name first, wait and then ask question. Some teachers use discussion questions as discipline. They, on purpose, attempt to embarrass the student as payback for misbehavior. It looks like this, (said quickly) “What is the capitol of Nevada, Larry?”, after noticing Larry talking to neighbor. Larry looks up, “Huh?” Students snicker. Teacher feels better.

8. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 8, 2022

Did it 3 years - 2 grade levels. Honestly, I shoulda got a raise because it was a LOT of work .