Teaching Sequencing

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by pinkdaisy88, Apr 26, 2011.

1. pinkdaisy88

pinkdaisy88 Rookie

Apr 26, 2011

I got a call for a final interview on THURSDAY. They want me to teach a mini lesson (15 minutes or less) to a class of 20 on sequencing. This will be a 4th grade class. The activity portion must include a writing component.

After the mini lesson a strategic group of "bubble" kids will be pulled back and I must have a different way to teach sequencing or the writing component.

Help!!!! I'm on google right now trying to come up with ideas but I'm completely lost and stressed!!!!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2011

Choose a book or activity that the students can sequence.

For your bubble students, you might want to work with sequencing pictures.

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2011

15 minutes is short! If you choose a book, it needs to be a very short one. Maybe sequence a concept? like the lifecycle of a butterfly, or a plant since it is spring? Or somehow the steps you take to get ready in the morning-that could be what they write out at the end since it is likely that different students would have different morning routines.

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2011

Or perhaps a how to? They would have to sequence the directions?

What have you come up with by using Google so far, maybe we can help you tweak it?

6. pinkdaisy88

pinkdaisy88 Rookie

Apr 26, 2011

7. pinkdaisy88

pinkdaisy88 Rookie

Apr 26, 2011

I just got notice that the kids will be in the room while I set up. So what if I pretend to be the monster??? I can leave a trail of footprints as I mess the room up?

8. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2011

I think that may be a little risky for a demo...not sure the teacher would appreciate you messing up the room. Do you know/are you friendly with the teacher from subbing or not?

9. pinkdaisy88

pinkdaisy88 Rookie

Apr 26, 2011

No. This is a district I have never subbed in. I wouldn't mess things up that drastically.... I planned on it only being a few different thing... like a chair on a desk.... something hanging up..... maybe some books on the wrong shelf. Things that could be fixed easily when I was done.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2011

A mystery/detective story might be a better way to go. There are probably too many variables for this lesson when you don't know the kids.

11. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2011

I agree with Mopar, you don't know the kids so I would stay away from that.

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 26, 2011

I teach fourth grade. Perhaps since they have emphasized the writing componant as being essential, you might do your mini lesson on using transition words to show sequencing. If I were doing it, I'd pick something most 4th graders would have some experience with or knowledge of, such as the life cycle of a butterfly. My mini lesson would be on using the transition words "first, next, then, and last" to show sequencing in writing.

Then the lesson for the small group could be cutting out pictures of the life cycle, glueing them to the paper, and identifying where the words "first, next, then, and last" would go in relation to the pictures.

If you are interested, let me know. I've got the pictures and a graphic organizer specifically for the life cycle of a butterfly.

If not, good luck on whatever you choose.

13. pinkdaisy88

pinkdaisy88 Rookie

Apr 27, 2011

Alright, I believe I finished it!

If anyone doesn't mind taking a look at the lesson plan, could you PM me? I'd love some last minute revising!

14. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2011

How did it go?

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 30, 2011

So what lesson did you end up using?

I just read on your other thread that you got the job. Way to go!

16. pinkdaisy88

pinkdaisy88 Rookie

May 1, 2011

For the mini lesson, I made a pj&j sandwich all wrong. I then had the class walk me through the entire sequence of making the sandwich the right way. They actually really enjoyed it.

For the writing component I gave the students four different daily tasks to choose from. Getting a glass of water, making chocolate milk, brushing your teeth, and mailing a letter. They had to write out the entire sequence.

For the group I had to pull back, I retaught my mini lesson using the life cycle of a butterfly with sentence strips and a pocket chart. Then went over the writing component.

:) Thanks for the help!