Teaching/School Size Question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Doug_HSTeach_07, May 13, 2013.

1. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

May 13, 2013

Hello all,

I am just finishing up my sixth year teaching. All six years have been spent in a high school of around 120 students in a very rural area. It has been mostly very positive and an awesome experience. I enjoy the student/teacher ratio and being able to get to know students, other staff, and community members.

However, after recently attending a convention, where many larger schools were present, I began to think what it might be like to teach in a larger school. Can anyone offer insight on this?

What is it like to teach in a school of 500 students? 1,000? 2,000? Outside of several student teaching assignments, I have had virtually no interaction or experience with these types of schools. I think I have an idea, but I don't want to have any misconceptions or misunderstandings.

Thanks for your insight in advance!

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 13, 2013

I don't teach high school....but I did go from a school with 230 students to a school with 1500 students. It's definitely different.

You don't get to know every kid. Heck, I don't even know every teacher at my school. I feel like PD days are like a clown car exploding with people I don't know.

On the plus side, I feel like there are far more resources with more students. And people generally leave me alone. Nobody ever asks me for specific lesson plans, data, etc. They trust that I am doing my job. They have to because it would be impossible to keep a short leash on 80 staff members.

4. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

May 13, 2013

Last year I worked at an elementary school with 210 students. I basically knew every single student by name. This year I work at a school that has 700-750 students. I honestly prefer the the larger school I'm at currently. Im just the type of person that doesn't do well in small, close-knit communities/schools.

5. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

May 13, 2013

This happened to me not too long ago at a faculty meeting and we only have about 40-45 teachers. I was like "who is that lady over there?" Turned out is was one of our Pre-K teachers. I was just like, oh...:whistle: Lol.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 13, 2013

I teach in a rural district with between 150-225 students per grade. My school has three grades, so 450-600 most years. I don't know every kid, but most kids.

We have 35 teachers. I still haven't met our newest special education teacher who was hired in January.

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 13, 2013

My school has over a thousand students. I've also worked at a school that had about 350 students. I preferred the smaller school. I felt like I knew my coworkers better and had more opportunities for leadership. I hardly know most of the teachers at my school now. I don't even see my kids once a week for music, so it makes it difficult for classroom management and continuing lessons. And I still don't know all of their names-I feel horrible about that!

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 13, 2013

My school has nearly 2400 students. I teach about 1/4 of the senior class. We're very departmentalized; I don't know many teachers outside of my department. It's a good area and overall the kids are super, so the numbers don't make that much of a difference from my point of view.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 14, 2013

My site has approx. 600 students. We're a K-5 school.

The middle school I taught at last year had around 700 students.

The high school I attended had 2,500+ students.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 14, 2013

I used to work at a school with 11 full time staff members. I loved it- but I could see it being different if people were too cliquey or you didn't like the other people. We clicked really well. If you didn't really click with the other people, I think it would be hard to be on such a small staff.

I currently work on a staff of about 80. I feel like I only really know my team and some other random teachers that just happen to be really friendly. I'm lucky that my team is awesome, so I don't mind. K and 1st are in a totally different section of the school, so I literally couldn't even tell you some of the teachers' first names.

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 15, 2013

I worked at a very large (over 3,600 students) for 3 years. I didn't know any teachers outside my department. The plus side was being able to offer a wider range of classes. I was a FACS teachers and we had Intro to Foods, Nutrition, Baking and Confections, and Regional and Global foods. A smaller school just can't offer all those classes. The negatives were the hallways - super crowded - and feeling like there were so many people you'd just never meet.

I'm now at an elementary school that's on the larger side for elementary, close to 700 students. We have 6 fifth grade teachers. I love it. It doesn't feel crowded, I've gotten to know most of our 120 5th graders, and even though we're larger, it just doesn't feel large.

12. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

May 15, 2013

My school of 15 teachers is less than 100 students. We've never had more than 115. It is a lovely environment in which to teach.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 15, 2013

I have worked in a school of over 4000 students. You find a niche and a group of people that you are comfortable with, and you usually never get to know everyone.