teaching rhymes

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by maggiedoodle, Feb 28, 2006.

1. maggiedoodle

maggiedoodle Rookie

Feb 28, 2006

Hello! I'm a K-2 sped teacher and Ihave one student sho cannot pick up the concept of rhyme. He's been in school for 2 years and I know his previous teavcher tried really hard to teach him this too! He has learned some letters, and has a very very simple concept of the sound/symbol relationship.
    We've read lots of rhyming books, poems, chants, etc. I have him repeat the words, look at pictures, look at the word patterns, and although he sort of "memorizes" pairs of words, he still cannot extend it or pick out words when given choices. I'm just not sure where to go! We tried it in November, and then I decided he just wasn't ready. However, he's come pretty far since then so I thought I'd try again! Any ideas would be super hepful! Thanks!.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 28, 2006

What if you try combining some physical movement with the sounds. You may first have to signal him when the appropriate rhyming sound is coming. Sit while saying the rhyme, signal him before the word comes to prompt him to stand up. Perhaps he will begin to associate specific sounds with movement. If he can't stand, or is too slow to rise, use some other whole body movement, if possible.

4. wanateach

wanateach Companion

Mar 1, 2006

Yeah, that is a good idea, and can you do something with rhythms, f.e. clapping a pattern he has to repeat-or a finger movement or whatever he could do. I would definitely start with something he can have success with, repeat, repeat, repeat.

5. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Mar 1, 2006

Why do you want to teach him to recognize rhymes?

I'm not trying to be mean--I'm sincerely very curious.

6. maggiedoodle

maggiedoodle Rookie

Mar 2, 2006

I'm going to incorporate some of the physical movements...good idea!

As for why I'm teaching him rhymes, somtimes I ask myself the same thing! The answer is two-fold, really. My immediate reason is that the class he mainstreams into (Kindergarten) does a great deal of rhyming and chanting in their activities. I want this little boy to be able to do these things with them so that he's truly part of the group.
    Also, rhyming is indicative of a child's phonemic awarenss (according to research anyways). So since we're working towards reading, one of his IEP objecties is to manipulate sounds, and rhyming is a basic way of doing this.
    Thanks for the ideas...any others would still be appreciated! Also, maybe what I'm really wondering is what's the step before rhyming?
    Thanks again!