Teaching REAL history

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by bonniew, Sep 29, 2004.

1. bonniew

bonniew New Member

Sep 29, 2004

Hi everyone,
    I'm a student, aspiring to one day be a great teacher. Lately I've been wondering about what I'm going to actually teach when i have to teach my elementary students about history. Am I going to have to shove down their throats all half truthed the crap that is in the text books? I want to teach what really happened in history. How can i go about doing that? Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    ~Bonnie :)

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 30, 2004

Well, if your state has a set history guideline and text, then yes you may have to do the "half truths"... maybe find secondary resources with what you would call the "real truth" and compare and contrast the two. BUT I would run it by the principal, first, just to make sure it is ok. One thing you don't want to do it rock the boat as a first year teacher. One way to make it interesting to them is to get into the story teller mode. I've known 2 great history teachers... they tell it like a story... I could have listened to either of them talk for hours and I hated history.

4. kag482

kag482 Rookie

Sep 30, 2004

Yes, I agree that sometimes textbooks can be biased (according to the authors views). I suggest trying to use thematic units to present topics. You can use the textbook as a resource. And you can teach the kids history by representing all cultures. Hopefully you will have a supportive principal that will allow you to not use the textbook exclusively. That is what I am worried about too! I will be interviewing for jobs next summer and there are so many things to consider when creating lessons and your style of teaching! Good Luck!:)

---Kelly

5. Mrs. V

Mrs. V Rookie

Sep 30, 2004

One idea that I would maybe consider doing, depending on the grade and your technology resources have your students research. Introduce the topic and have student research each topic. They can show the different views given from different modes. Then you could have covered the textbooks view and other truths out there. Just an idea.

6. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Oct 13, 2004

I had to teach my 3rd graders last year about Christopher Columbus who "discovered" America. I did a lot of research (read "Lies my Teacher Told Me") and typed my own supplemental text for the kids. We read it first- how America could not be discovered because there were already inhabitants, how Columbus pioneered the slave trade in this country, how he mistreated the American Indians (which is what they prefer to be called, not Native Americans), and so on. They were fascinated. I spent 60+ hours researching, typing the text, worksheets, activities, finding videos and photos, etc. but it was worth it. We then read the text and compared. They learned to question what they read, which is a very powerful skill. This year I have 2nd graders and will have to be a little less blunt, especially since our text doesn't really talk much about history. But you are not alone in believing that kids remember things when they think for themselves and question what they learn. The truth is, we don't know exactly what happened in the past, we just have educated theories. The children love to explore the theories and determine which one they choose to believe.

7. bonniew

bonniew New Member

Oct 17, 2004

Thanks!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. They were all really helpful!
    ~Bonnie