Teaching Reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by weteach2inspire, Jun 30, 2015.

1. weteach2inspire

weteach2inspire New Member

Jun 30, 2015

HELLO Everyone,

I am a college student studying Elementary Ed. and am a private tutor. I have one student who will be going into third grade who is behind in reading. I am working on first grade reading material with him. I have noticed when he is reading that he will get ahead of himself and basically assume the upcoming words in the sentence. For example, if the sentence we just read said "A racehorse has to be fast and strong," he will continue the next sentence with "the horse is" instead of "A racehorse has to train." I hope this makes sense about this student assuming the text rather than looking at each word and taking time to process what it is. I see this many times with the words "the", "and", "then", etc. Instead of "the" he will say "and" or "a". This student gets very frustrated with be corrected even though I am super positive when correcting an error. I do not belittle or make my students feel inferior. I want to pick my battles but these silly/possibly careless errors should be caught early on. He will read a sentence and know that it clearly doesn't make sense due to errors he has made, however he says "whatever" and does not wish to fix them. Any advice?! I want to positively help my students but not allow them to be super careless with reading. I will appreciate any piece of advice#

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2015

Are you having him track the words with his finger or a pointer as he reads? This step may help.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 1, 2015

Make a game board and game cards. Play for accuracy in reading. In other words, every time he reads a sentence correctly on the game card, he gets to move forward on the board. Make each card worth different amounts of points. Or else, if you play with him, roll a die before a move and that is the number of points each player gets for a correct answer. I used to play that I could only have a turn if I rolled an even number on the die, to make it more fair.

Otherwise, practice with cloze sentences. Use word cards and leave blanks in the sentences. Have the student choose the transition words or conjunctions or whatever that best fit in the open blank spaces.

Play a matching game (like concentration) with two parts for each sentence. You could also play with numerous topics - matching words for synonyms, antonyms, nouns, singular/plurals, etc.

These are non-threatening ways to practice skills that don't involve you correcting him.