Teaching reading help

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by clynns, Jul 1, 2009.

1. clynns

clynns Companion

Jul 1, 2009

Today I found out that my school, K, was the lowest in reading in our county. Our county has very high reading standards in K. Personally, I think they may be too high but it is what it is. I have to work even harder next year to get these scores up. Any advice on getting K students who come in knowing practically nothing to be reading what I consider on a first grade level by the end of the year? Thanks

3. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

The Florida Center for Reading Research has a lot of literacy resources. I use a lot of their stuff in my literacy stations. I have found quite a bit of reinforcement type stuff for skills I teach.

Out of curiosity, what's the end of year goal for K at your school?

4. clynns

clynns Companion

Jul 2, 2009

Students have to read a level 4 by the end of K. I haven't been able to pull up anything from the Florida Center of Reading Research.

5. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 2, 2009

6. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

you do a word wall, right???
    Kids at that level must have words that they learn purely by sight. It is a foundation you build upon.

7. Lilly4

Lilly4 Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

Phonemic awareness and Phonics is huge for helping kids become readers. I recommend the book Phonemic Awareness in Young Children: A Classroom Curriculum - it's only about $15 on Amazon and has helped my students tremendously to become amazing readers. They are fun activities and grow in difficulty so it's fun for kids- but those skills are so essential to learning how to read. In addition balanced literacy is huge- shared, independent, and guided reading and writing. Good luck!:)

8. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 2, 2009

Our district also has a level 4 reading requirement for the end of K. I agree with the previous posters that the FCRR website is a fantastic resource and Phonological Awareness is also a vital piece of the literacy puzzle. You can find some of my "secrets" to get my kids reading on my website on the literacy pages. Things like word wall, morning message, environmental print, nursery rhymes, and names are all highly effective tools for accelerating literacy.

For teaching Sight Words I highly recommend Rainbow Words and Heidi Songs Sing & Spell songs

For teaching letter ID and letter sounds I highly recommend Heidi's Singable Songs for Letters and Sounds. It's extremely effective because it uses a multisensory approach that incorporates all learning styles.

9. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

Sorry! I didn't check back to this thread after posting. (I did reply to a PM about the FCRR link not working.) I wanted to add, when I asked what level K students were expected to read at the end of K, that is the low side of our benchmark for the end of 1st quarter in first grade in my district. I would LOVE to start the year with kiddos reading a level 4 when they came in!

On top of the FCRR site, I use a lot of things from Words Their Way. (beginning letter sorts, developmental spelling, vowels, etc.)

10. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2009

I have to second the phonemic awareness thing. It doesn't matter how well the kids know their letters, if they have problems with phonemic awareness. It's huge. I have that book and use it with my 3-6 yr olds all of the time.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 5, 2009

Ok, I may be an idiot (so what's new, right?)- but level 4 using what measure, or what basals? I'm really curious to see what the expected reading ability is.

Our district asks us to have the kids reading 40 wpm on timed fluency passages. I also think this is an incredibly high standard and pressure on us because in First Grade it's 60 wpm. And they come to us mostly with no knowledge of sounds so it's really a big leap to make in 9 months.

vanna's site is awesome - definitely check that out and I also use FCCR's workstation materials.

Do you do guided reading in small groups? I find that to be an invaluable tool. Teaching sight words is very important, but they also have to have those strategies for decoding and comprehension as well. There are great books with songs for blending sounds, I need to find what they are called - there are 3 books, one for each season they are in school. Just "play" with sounds as much as you can - changing one letter to make a new word, using their names-they'll get it!

12. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2009

level 4 according to DRA or level D on G.R. levels.

13. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Jul 6, 2009

Reading at home

We have found that getting parents involved in reading at home is super important in our student's development as readers.