Teaching Reading Comprehension

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by texasteacher201, Jun 13, 2011.

1. texasteacher201

texasteacher201 Rookie

Jun 13, 2011

Hi everybody! I just finished my first year teaching in 2nd grade. Next year, I will be teaching 3rd grade, and with the new STAR testing Texas has adopted, I am worried about my students not performing up to par. On the final reading benchmark my 2nd grade students took, almost nobody passed! Any suggestions as to how I can better help students with reading at a 3rd grade level?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 13, 2011

Do you use CScope?

4. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jun 13, 2011

How do you currently teach reading?? What areas did they struggle with the most??

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2011

For comprehension, I would strongly recommend a few books: Mosiac of Thought, Strategies that Work, and CAFE.

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 14, 2011

These are all great resources! You might also think about the Comprehension Tool Kit (Stephanie Harvey and Anne Goudvis). It is a wonderful way to teach reading and the students will out perform the STAAR test if they are given this tool box to help them understand the different reading strategies that help with comprehension. If none of your second graders passed the EOY benchmark, I would start your reading today so that you can be prepared to help them make the gains that they will need to not only pass the statewide test, but excel at the new test. I would definitely spend some time on poetry and comparing/contrasting literature. I believe that we will see more of this on our new test. Look forward to the challenge that lies ahead of you. Make sure to document progress, keep anecdotal records on your students, and carefully monitor benchmark scores and teach in small groups based on low objective areas. Good Luck!!!!! :thumb: You got this!

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2011

That's a great one too! I have an entire library of reading books. Each one adds a little more to your tool belt.

Also, most public libraries or school libraries have copies of these books so you don't have to buy them. That's how I started with Mosiac of Thought.

8. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jun 14, 2011

I would also recommend: The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller, Igniting A Passion For Reading By Steven Layne, and Readicide by Kelly Gallagher. All three excellent books and changed the way I teach reading!

9. Srohl

Srohl Rookie

Jun 14, 2011

Don't forget to consider fluency. Students who are not fluent readers usually are not good at comprehension because they are spending too much time decoding. Does your school use some type of program to monitor fluency rates?

10. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jun 14, 2011

I'm reaing another book on teaching reading called One Child At A time by Pat Johnson, which is really good and it covers all aspects of reading.

11. texasteacher201

texasteacher201 Rookie

Jun 15, 2011

cscope

No, our district did not use Cscope for Reading and Language Arts.

12. texasteacher201

texasteacher201 Rookie

Jun 15, 2011

I start with an introduction of vocabulary, followed by a read-a-loud with comprehension questions. That is done as a whole class and about 30 minutes a day is spent on that. It is followed by 1 hour of center rotations. I work with groups of 5 students at a time, and I see each group for 15 minutes. About half of the other students have work to complete in their seats to practice the grammar/language and spelling work for the week, while the other half is broken into pairs that go to various "centers". One center is a vocabulary practice center, one is for "think-pair-share", one is for spelling, and the others are a mix of reading comprehension and language arts skills. Even in small group, I struggled to help children understand details from the story that were not explicitly stated. Thank you for your help!

13. texasteacher201

texasteacher201 Rookie

Jun 15, 2011

Thank you for your positive and encouraging attitude, as well as your advice! I am going to start researching that now! Thank you all so much for your help!!!!!

14. texasteacher201

texasteacher201 Rookie

Jun 15, 2011

I'm not sure if you'll have the answer to this, but do you know if the Reading Comprehension Tool Kit would be useful to teach Spanish Language Reading and Language Arts? I am a Bilingual Teacher and Reading is done all in Spanish. Thanks!