Teaching program with Title I stipend?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsFireydeer, Aug 4, 2015.

1. MsFireydeer

MsFireydeer New Member

Aug 4, 2015

Hi Everyone, so I am in my masters degree teaching certification program. There is an opportunity for my student teaching practicum where I can get a monthly stipend of $2500 for a year, but I am assigned to a Title i school that is ranked in the bottom half of high schools in the state. On top of that I have to teach at a Title i school for 3 years. I just want to know what are the challenges of teaching in a Title I school? Is it better to be teaching in a top ranked public school? will it be less of a headache? Any input or comment would be appreciated!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 4, 2015

Welcome to A to Z, MsFireydeer. You've raised an interesting question. A to Z forum rules strongly discourage multiple threads at the same time on the same topic by the same member in different forums, so yours have been consolidated and moved to the Job Seekers forum.

(Pro tip: Many A to Z veterans don't check for new threads forum by forum. Instead, they use one of the "NEW:" links at the top right of the page, just under where it says, "Welcome, MsFireydeer", to bring up a list of threads in which someone has posted since the last time the member signed in.)

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2015

If you think working at a title one school will be a "headache", please stay away. Title one schools for the most part come with all the challenges you would assume and are also extremely rewarding. Title one schools need strong, dedicated teachers who are willing to put in a little extra effort. Not everyone is right for title one schools, only you can decide if you are.

5. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Aug 4, 2015

I would take it. Most people I know that have student taught in those types of school, get hired frequently in other districts (even high ranking ones) because of that experience. It might be hard and stressful but you will get a wealth of experience from there and it can lead to great things. Think about accepting it!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 4, 2015

I've always taught at a Title I school. I love it.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 4, 2015

This.

Like Ima, I've only worked in Title 1 schools, but being at a school over several years and watching the school rating get better each year is very rewarding.

8. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 4, 2015

I've done my fair share of Title 1. Honestly I'll rather be in a non Title 1 school avoiding many of the problems that you get at them. I'm not merely meaning the types of families you are dealing with, but there is a ton of pressure on the staff moreso IMO than "richer" schools.

Many people though do prefer Title 1, but for me I have always enjoyed working at cute little neighborhood schools where I would send my kids. The stress is just less for me.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2015

Honestly, most schools are Title I anymore. Once the economy tanked, a lot of schools qualified. My former school became Title I for the first time in 2009. The only difference was that we had a bigger budget.

10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2015

I have always worked at Title I schools (or charter/privates that would have qualified). Every school is different regardless of the status. I currently work at a fabulous Title I school that is a tightly-run ship. Others have been...not so well-run. The admin and the amount of support you get make all the difference.

For your student teaching, getting that kind of experience will be worth it in the long run. Having a strong cooperating teacher is what matters the most, although it will most likely be beyond your control. Once you are looking for jobs, it is important to be picky and look for a school with a good reputation and strong admin. You need to ask the hard questions in the interview and be attentive to the responses you get and how they are given. If they are fishy talking about teacher support or school-wide discipline, be prepared to walk away! I have made the mistake before of jumping at the first opportunity and not waiting for the right fit.

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2015

This is true in my area too. There are many more title 1 schools than non title schools. Most entire districts are title 1 around here, and there is only one district that I know of that has absolutely no title 1 schools. Ironically, due to that district's political climate it's one of the worst districts to work in right now. I've always worked in title 1 schools, not necessarily because I sought them out but just because that's where the jobs are. Keep in mind that there can also be a huge difference between schools that are just title 1 schools and schools that are true "inner city" schools. I taught inner city one year and will never do it again.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2015

I almost brought this up. I think a lot of people think 'inner city' environment when they hear 'Title I'. That is not the case. I think most people would not be able to identify most Title I suburban or rural schools as being Title I unless they were told they were Title I.

Inner city is inner city. It is a whole different atmosphere. I can also say that it isn't for me.

13. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Aug 5, 2015

This. My school is considered to be Title I, but it's certainly not an inner city school.