Teaching Procedures

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Jul 27, 2009.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

With the beginning of the new school year fast approaching for many of you, there on many on-going discussions about establishing routines, procedures, etc. in the classroom. Some of you talk about spending the entire first week, or longer, introducing and practicing routines and procedures. This is far removed from my experience; so my question is this: What, specifically, does this look like in your room (not the procedure, but the teaching of the procedure)? When teaching your expectations around, for example, sharpening pencils, handing in completed work or lining up for lunch, what exactly do you do? How long does it take? How many "procedures" do you set time aside to address specifically? Do you think that your practice would change if you taught a different age group?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

MrsC~I think it would change depending on the age group. A younger grade level will need a lot more practice and modeling procedures than older students would. What I typically do is teach procedures as they come up. So during the morning, I would model, have the students role play the procedure, and practice the procedure what to do when they come in. And then throughout the day, I model and students practice procedures as they come up. I normally spend about 2-3 days depending on the age group. Normally I have the students create procedure cards/small posters that are displayed in the room as a reminder on the 2nd day and a quiz on the 3rd day. And then review when we come back from a break.

4. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 27, 2009

I teach middle school and do much of the same. Practice, practice, practice. Along with rules and procedures comes team building and developing culture.

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

I hand out a packet with all of my procedures outlined and go over the ones they need to know immediately first. I go over the rest throughout the week as they come up. I reteach the procedures anytime one is not followed. So if on the last day of school a kid breaks procedure, I stop right then and there and reteach.

6. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jul 27, 2009

Model, Model,Model. That is all I feel happens in my classroom for the first week. I model and students model correct and incorrect procedures. I was not a huge fan, but I completed the a whole week of procedures last year and my year was great. I am going to try it again this year and we will see.

7. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 27, 2009

We practice every procedure. That is the most important thing on the agenda for the first week, still a priority the second week and less so throughout the year. I will sometimes pretend to be a student and do a procedure the wrong way, and then ask if I did it correctly. They always delight in telling the teacher what she did wrong!

I always like it when a new student comes in, because it gives me an excuse to go over all of the procedures again, having students demonstrate for the new child.

8. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jul 27, 2009

I have preschoolers, so we spend lots of time practicing procedures. For example, most have never stood in a line before, so we talk about it, demonstrate it, have them practice it ( with help) and review alot. We do this with practically everything we do: hand washing, sitting in circle, hanging up coats, eating a meal family style, throwing away trash, how to use each learning center,how to put away toys on the shelf, how to use the playground equipement safely....we practice so much that by the 2nd week I am tired of writing it in my lesson plans (review procedure for using playground equipment safely) and even more tired of doing it. However, behaviors are better when I do this alot at the beginning of the year, so it is worth it. I would imagine it would look differently for older kids.

9. greengables

greengables Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

Prek here, too. With AM and PM classes. It DOES get repetitive but I can tell the difference when I don't do it.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2009

The time I spend on procedures varies with the groups of kids. I teach multiple classes per day, and even within the same year certain groups need more "reminders" than others.

Not only do I hit them hard the first of the school year, I also reteach after breaks.

Sometimes I get tired of hearing myself say the same things over and over again, but I can tell a difference when I let up on them.

11. MsX

MsX Companion

Jul 27, 2009

I agree with PP who said that it depends on the age level of the kids, but I don't think that means you don't model as much for older kids. I just think you model different things. I'm a huge fan of respsonsive classroom and they suggest you do what they call "interactive modeling." It's kinda of plan for how you teach students procedures and rules. Here's a link to an article that briefly discusses interactive modeling:

http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/pdf_files/everydayrules.pdf

12. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

MsX,

Thanks a bunch for your file, I´ll use it next March, now we are in winter holidays,
    back to school is in March here,
    Thanks for sharing!!!!!!

13. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

Throughout the first week, I introduce the procedures that are likely to come up, and review them everyday after they've been introduced for a week.
    The above article from responsive classroom gives a pretty good picture of what I do in my room, too.
    Angela Powell: www.mspowell.com or www.thecornerstone.com has very specific step-by-step intstructions - even dialogue - of how she teaches procedures.
    She also talks about how she playsd a procedure game when she has a few minutes to spare.... she makes strips of paper that say "what is the procedure for _________" and children draw out a stip and need to answer the question. I think she has since switched her game to powerpoint format.

Either way, I think her website might be able to answer your question.

14. MsX

MsX Companion

Jul 27, 2009

You're welcome! www.responsiveclassroom.org has a lot of articles like that on a wide variety of topics. I suggest you check them out if you liked that one! :)