Teaching Procedures and Rules

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Drama Teach, Jul 8, 2011.

1. knightengal

knightengal New Member

Jul 19, 2011

I suggest you read up on the Canter methods. You need to always go over your expectations, sometimes several times, until they get it right. That goes into your disciplinary hierarchy as well. I also suggest the Lemov method.

2. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2011

Back to the topic ... I've decided not to do ice breakers this year. My students have 7 classes per semester and they do lots of ice breakers already. What I am going to do is: properly introduce myself to the new kids, say hi to the ones I know, go over the syllabus and materials, and start in on a short/easy 2-week unit that ends in a quick presentation. During the first unit, I'll get them used to using certain procedures and routines.

Oh, and I'll show them the cell-phone basket where I'll hold their phones for the period if they text during class.

And, I'll give them my pep talk that it's REALLY hard for me to fail a student who shows up every day, participates in class, and tries hard - even if they are challenged by the content.

I agree with those who've said that students know procedures by the time they get to high school.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2011

Great plan, special! Love your plan for cell phones!
    Have a great back to school!:)

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 18, 2011

I've had to remove several posts from this thread.

As a reminder, if you encounter a troll (or someone who is here to cause trouble, bash teachers, etc.), please report them and move on.

Thanks! :)

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2011

Thank you, SO MUCH, Amanda!:love: