Teaching preschoolers Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by MsAnn, Nov 12, 2006.

1. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Nov 12, 2006

I have all the cute little crafts and everything, but can anyone direct me to a basic Thanksgiving story for preschoolers?

3. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Nov 12, 2006

Nevermind, I found a preschooler book on Thanksgiving, it covers it all.

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2006

MsAnn, one thing I am doing to reinforce the story is to have each child bring in a food from home to share that they will share during lunch time. Since I have such a small group I will have one bring a vegetable, one bring a fruit, one bring a meat, another bring a bread product, and someone bring a dessert. Just thought I'd share! :)

5. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Nov 13, 2006

Thanks Jen! That's a cute idea! :)

6. klcant

klcant Rookie

Nov 19, 2006

Curious....what book did you find, MsAnn?

7. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Nov 19, 2006

Oof! You would ask that one. The book is at school... I'll look and see what the book was that explained all about Thanksgiving because it was awesome! It had each Thanksgiving detail broken down into sections, like one was 'what was the mayflower like', etc.

The sillier and less detailed book I read were I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Pie and that was a *serious* hit, although I did leave out "perhaps she would die" on every page... I don't get that, they never tie it in and it's totally uncalled for!

I also read The Very First Thanksgiving Day by Rhonda Gowler Greene.....

I'll write tomorrow to let you know the name of that other book, hopefully it won't be too late for you because it was very, very good.

8. klcant

klcant Rookie

Nov 19, 2006

good deal! Thanks - and I"ll check back tomorrow...if you forget, don't worry about it

have a great holiday week!:)

9. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Nov 21, 2006

Okay, it's "Let's Celebrate Thanksgiving" by Peter & Connie Roop, it's a Scholastic book... the ISBN number is 0-439-37278-X

I HIGHLY recommend it!

Sorry it took so long to reply, I don't work on Monday's. I went in yesterday to drop off my daughter but the book wasn't in the room. Fortunately it was back today! I hope it isn't late for the info.