teaching preschoolers about hearing impairment - need ideas

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by raindropz_, Nov 7, 2005.

1. raindropz_

raindropz_ New Member

Nov 7, 2005

Hi all. I am a Special Education Major and for one of my classes I have to plan and teach a lesson related to Hearing Impairments. The age group I have been assigned is Preschool, most likely 4 year olds. I don't really have any experience teaching kids this young, and am not sure what type of activity I could do that would be fun for them and hold their attention.

My main goal is to increase their awareness of what a hearing impairment is, and maybe show them what it would be like to have a hearing impairment to increase their empathy. I am looking for a book to read to the kids and would like to do some other simple activities too. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the help :)

3. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

4. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Nov 7, 2005

I teach my kids sign language and the first sign I teach them is sit down. Then we learn stand up and we play a little "simon says" game using sit down and stand up. You can talk about the senses and select a child to close her eyes. Then another child says, "Hi, Name!" (I mean name of the child with eyes closed.) The child has to guess who it is. I tell my kids that just like some people speak in Spanish, French, or Vietnamese, others use sign language to speak. As your anticipatory prompt, you might want to talk very quietly, or move your mouth and not actually make noises, or maybe even speak Gobbledeygook. When the kids get start to question you, then you can explain why you're talking like that. The other games/check for understanding above was "senses" based. You could also use vibrating vocal chords to demonstrate how sound is made, and how some people can't make those sounds or they can't hear them.

5. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Nov 7, 2005

There is a book called, Moses Goes to a Concert. It's about a boy named Moses who is deaf and his class (of deaf students) go to symphany for a field trip. There are a lot signs in the book and it is great for kids to learn about deaf culture and people that don't put limits on their abilities. It might be a little long for 4 yr. olds but you could maybe just read the first few pages.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-3064529-0138415?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Ah! I just looked it up at Amazon and it looks like there are several Moses books. Maybe the "Moses Goes to School" would be more appropriate?

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2005

Could you do something simple and tell them how to say "Hi, my name is______"? Teach them basics.

7. Ms.Kristina

Ms.Kristina Rookie

Nov 14, 2005

you also may want to try the basics like talk to them while they cover their ears to see how it would be with out hearing