Teaching Prac

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by gubby, Aug 6, 2008.

1. gubby

gubby New Member

Aug 6, 2008

Hi to everyone

I am going on my prac, can anybody offer any advice as to the first day, class control/icebreaker/introductions/rules etc

Any help suggestions would be very apporeciated

gubby

3. bronski

bronski New Member

Aug 13, 2008

Hi, Gubby!

Hi, gubby!

Don't you sound familiar? Well, my piece of advice to you is try not to be nervous. As i was told by my co-operating teacher on my first day of prac, it doesn't take alot to know more than the students do. Another good idea is to let the students know that you won't accept any kind of inappropriate behaviour, and to make them aware of the consequences that will follow, eg, sent out of classroom, sent to another classroom, sent to head of dept, time out, detention, etc. That way they know what the boundaries are and won't try pushing too hard. Iv'e seen some really good ideas on icebreakers on this discussion forum (I like the snowball fight idea), as it makes it fun for the students and everyone gets to know each other. Good luck on your prac!

Bronski

4. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I agree with Bronski's advice...

The other piece of advice, is make sure you stick to the rules of the co-operating teacher, and that the students know that you will not bend those rules. And try not too... If you break one rule, they will see you as weak.

Stay consistent!!!

Good Luck!