teaching post-secondary

Discussion in 'General Education' started by athenssoest, May 10, 2010.

1. athenssoest

athenssoest Rookie

May 10, 2010

I've been doing a lot of thinking about not continuing for a masters in education, but going forward with a masters in my field (hopefully a Phd eventually) and then go on to eventually teach in a community college or university. This way, I could teach at a more advanced level, could do research, wouldn't have to deal with discipline issues, and could get better pay. My heart is in teaching, but I don't know if high school is what I want to stay with. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Can anyone comment on the reality of being a professor?

Thanks

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 10, 2010

The realities of being a professor vary dramatically with where you teach. Are you going to be teaching at a research university, a liberal arts college or community college? Will you be teaching upper division, lower division or college prep? There's just too many variables to answer in a short post.

4. pontiac8411

pontiac8411 Rookie

May 10, 2010

I have always wondered this myself, but honestly, teaching is a dealing with people business and I am sure that not all the people who you come across will be the most pleasant, lovely and compassionate people in the world. Yes it will be less overt discipline problems, but it will also be more covert problems such as absenteeism, know it all's,extension hungry people who wait until the last minute, etc. The task stays the same, but the problem set changes with the age. You just have to figure out what is right for you. It all depends on what makes you happy.

5. athenssoest

athenssoest Rookie

May 10, 2010

My ideal would be teaching foreign language (I'm a triple major in German, French, Spanish, and haven't decided which I want to pursue further) at a small four year school (liberal arts or community).

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 11, 2010

I've taught at a Big12 University and did research, I currently teach at a community college. (Yes, I teach HS, too).

Jobs in higher ed are VERY competitive, you don't get much choice in what you teach, you take what they give you. You may have fewer student problems, but the college world is VERY political so you will still be around people problems.

Higher pay? Ha! I make more teaching HS than I made/make teaching post-secondary and doing research.