Teaching Positions -Rockport (on the ocean)Texas

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ocean2026, Jan 11, 2009.

1. ocean2026

ocean2026 Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

I'm a school board member and attorney in Rockport. I am speaking for myself, not as an official spokesperson from my district.

I've lived all over the country (undergrad @ Cal- IU Law) and have lived in NY, AZ, FL, CT and all over Texas. People from everywhere are welcomed here.

I love Rockport because its a friendly town with no air pollution, little traffic ( I consider "traffic" when I hear a car stop on my street and yell "Alex would you please move over???" - (my doggie liked to nap in the middle of the road), and virtually no violent crime.

We have a wildlife reserve in our county and great beaches -replete with dolphins and ducks (seasonal for the ducks).

We have teacher openings each year and we do get applicants but I'd like to see some geographic diversity in our faculty.

Texas has no state income tax, there would be no commuting costs and low heating bills. Summers are hot but teachers have vacation during that time.

We are a better than average district, and want teachers motivated to make us a super-district. We don't have gangs and for the most part our kids are great!

Liz Flynn is our director of Human Resources and she's easy to talk to.

As a new member I can't post links but any search will get you to

Aransas County Independent School District (where jobs are listed)

and Rockport- Fulton TX Chamber of Commerce ( pictures and info on our town) My house is exactly 24 miles up the coast from Corpus Christi Texas
    Thanks for looking Steve Fischer

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2009

I'm very setteled in my job.

But THANKS on behalf of everyone here for thinking of us!!

Are the openings across the board, or are they limited to math/science/special ed?

One more question: do you still anticipate openings, even in light of the struggling economy??

Why not stick around?? We could certainly use the input from a school board member!!

Thanks once again!

4. ocean2026

ocean2026 Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

Thanks- the openings change all the time - that's why I say check the website. The economy is struggling but not as badly in Rockport as NY or the rest of the country. People keep moving here- people love the ocean and we have barrier islands to protect us against hurricanes and are not in a major zone.

By the way Buffalo is one of my fav places- love the old buildings. I used to live in Brooklyn as a kid.

If there are issues on here for school board members-wake me up - I have opinions lol

5. rs08

rs08 Rookie

Jan 22, 2009

I visited the Aransas County Independent School web site. These are the jobs listed:

Current Job Openings:

Professional/Teaching Positions
    Math Teacher (6th grade) - Rockport-Fulton Middle School
    NJROTC Senior Naval Science Instructor (SNSI) and Naval Science Instructor (NSI)
    Speech Therapist
    Speech-Language Pathologist
    Support Positions
    Bus Drivers (Full-time and Substitute)
    Bus Monitors (Full-time and Substitute)
    Cafeteria Production Workers (Substitute)