Teaching Positions and Background Checks. Need Advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jen78tx, May 6, 2014.

1. Jen78tx

Jen78tx Rookie

May 6, 2014

Hi. Well Im hoping someone can help me here. First of all I live in Texas. I recently got a traffic citation and now have a class C misdemeanor. I am going to be going to court to try to get a deferred disposition which I believe will take it off my record though Im not sure. I have a clean record other than this so I am not familiar with how all this works.I just know that when youre working with kids that they are going to do extensive background checks. Anyway I guess what Im wondering is if this is going to affect me getting a teaching job. Does anyone have any advice for me or been in a similar situation? I really appreciate any help with this. Thanks so much!

Jen

5/7
    (Went to court today. Please read update farther down on this page)

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 6, 2014

I don't think a traffic violation counts unless it's severe like a DUI, or hit and run, etc.

4. Jen78tx

Jen78tx Rookie

May 6, 2014

Re

Well thats the issue. It would be classified as a hit and run or failure to remain because I left. But I thought the car hit me, though they are saying I hit them..... I was in a hurry and it was a big mistake on my part.. BUT one good thing is it was a slight bump, no injuries. Just some scratches on my car and theirs too as far as I know......

5. underthesun

underthesun Rookie

May 6, 2014

Oh, man. I can't offer any advice on the affect it might have on future jobs, but I do want to say that you should always always stop and talk when you're in any type of collision. Even if it seems insignificant, and even if they're definitely the ones that hit you, you never know who's going to cause a fuss about it later, or worse, who's going to try and claim an injury and completely screw you over. I watched my sister learn that the hard way, unfortunately.

In any regard, I'm sorry that this is happening to you. It sounds like you really didn't think there was any actual damage, and I don't think you were intending to 'hit and run'.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 6, 2014

I recommend that you consult with a lawyer on this one.

7. bros

bros Phenom

May 7, 2014

Talk to your attorney about the laws in your state. I know in NJ, they don't usually give deferred judgment for leaving the scene of an accident.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 7, 2014

Because it's classified as hit and run, I would talk to a lawyer about this. I don't know the TX traffic laws and whether or not you can get a deferred judgment on this. Good luck!

9. Jen78tx

Jen78tx Rookie

May 7, 2014

Thanks everyone. Actually I had the court date today. I got a deferred disposition. If I dont get another traffic ticket for 90 days then its off my record. But right now its a pending charge, not a conviction. So the judge said it probably wont show up on my record, but how can I be sure ? Im very paranoid driving the next 3 months , thats for sure. I just want to be able to apply for jobs and not have to worry about this popping up :( I guess I was lucky in a way to get this. If people in other car had gotten hurt I know I would have been in a lot more trouble ...

10. Jen78tx

Jen78tx Rookie

May 7, 2014

Basically question is, if its a pending charge, then is it going to show up on a background check that schools/daycares would do? I really appreciate any more advice..

11. bros

bros Phenom

May 8, 2014

Only 90 days? Texas law sure is lenient - in NJ, deferred judgement is usually 12 months.

I'd suggest calling the court tomorrow, as the judge does not know what will and won't show up.

Also call the court 90 days from today to see if it would be off your record.

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 8, 2014

Can you order your own background check? That way you will get to see what's on there instead of speculating and consulting people who may not know.

13. Jen78tx

Jen78tx Rookie

May 8, 2014

Re

Thanks all. Well what is a good site for a background check that is not too overly expensive ?

14. bros

bros Phenom

May 9, 2014

Intelius?

But you might want to use whatever districts around you use.

According to google, Texas uses http://www.l1enrollment.com/state/?st=tx

Which is the same parent corporation of the company that NJ uses.

You might be able to order a personal copy for your own records - just call them and ask

15. Jen78tx

Jen78tx Rookie

May 9, 2014

Thanks bros will check that out