Teaching Portfolio

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by stephanie90102, Aug 12, 2006.

1. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

What do you have yours in? A binder? A leather portfolio? A folder?

3. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 12, 2006

In my credential program we didn't have to create a portfolio. Someone in my class brought her sister's portfolio to class once and I was totally impressed. She had done hers in scrapbook style. There were pictures and some lesson plans and it was totally "her". My friend did hers the same way. One of my master teachers was from my program and also did her portfolio scrapbook style.

So, I did mine that way too. It has the following things in it:

my resume, philosophy of teaching, pictures of my beginning student teaching, letters of recommendation, pictures of my advanced student teaching, lesson plans from student teaching, pictures of the types of things I put on my whiteboard, comments from students (all positive, of course!), a collage of pictures of my students, and a page about my graduation, since I just graduated in May.

It's a 12"x12" scrapbook. It's not your standard several inch binder of examples of how brilliant I am. But it is a quick way to show how creative I am plus what I've done in a classroom.

Your milage may vary!

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2006

In my program we were required to make portfolios, and were told to stay away from the scrapbooky style. Several principals from the area came to talk to us and told us that they would not hire anyone with a portfolio like that......but this is West Michigan, it will definatly be different in your area.

I made mine in a leather binder, very professional. I have a table of contents, my resume, my test scores, my teaching certificate, my observations from student teaching, my letters of reccomendation, my philosophies, my sample lessons, photos and/or examples of student work from those lessons, and a section on accomadations I made for non-readers in my class. And a few pages on the last day of student teaching and the party my kids threw for me.

It is done very professionaly, with those page covers, and tabs on the page covers. Anyone can find anything in an instant, all set up for me to use in an interview that I may never get. Hopefully this will help you, it too me about 12 hours to put together, so hopefully you can move faster than me. Oh, and everything that could be was printed on resume paper....an extra touch of professionalism.

5. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

In Iowa every first year teaching has to go through a mentoring program of 2 or 3 years. In your 2nd year, you create your portfolio. I'm in my 2nd year of teaching, so I started working on it this summer. My portfolio is in a plain white binder. Mine is based on the 8 Iowa Teaching Standards and 42 criteria.

6. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Aug 12, 2006

My program required us to do our portfolio entirely online on a website called livetext. It was a pain!