Teaching Portfolio

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Chalk, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Apr 30, 2010

Hello

IN my introduction I mentioned that I was presenting my portfolio the next day. That has been postponed due to unforeseen silliness at my school.

However, I have to ask. Does the real world look at these cutesy little binders with glitter and flitz? I put some work into my portfolio and followed all the INTASC guidelines and added personal things like a copy of Taylor Mali's "What do teachers make" poem.

I have seen several of my peers portfolios with some pretty well crafted, if maybe a little over the top works and I can't help but remember my time working with Human Resource for a large corporation. In those days if someone sent us anything more than a cover letter and one page resume, it was HR policy to bottom file them till we got through the short ones first. I always hated that and wonder how many darn good people we never glanced at because they didn't conform to the "standard business resume" format.

So I ask, Do they (by they I mean school system admin/HR) really want to look at portfolios?

Thanks for your input on this.

3. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Apr 30, 2010

I'm creating mine now for secondary... apparently they do on job interviews. But no one sends in portfolios. I'm also putting mine on a CD.

4. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Apr 30, 2010

I believe it's supposed to be as more of a reference tool. For example, if they ask about your previous student's work, you should have examples to show them.

5. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Apr 30, 2010

I've been on several interview committees at my school, and we rarely look at them unless the candidate specifically points something out while answering a question.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Apr 30, 2010

Pictures are key. We always look at the pictures.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 30, 2010

I never sent portfolios or anything else that wasn't SPECIFICALLY asked for when applying for jobs. But I have ALWASYS taken my portfolio to interviews. People have rarely asked to look at it... and I haven't always had questions that could be easily answered by items inside. But as much as possible, I like to suppliment my answers by showing tehm something. Photos of schedules, work tasks, assignment,s etc. speak a WHOLE lot louder than my words when showing off my experience... and they make me way less nervous!

8. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 30, 2010

No. I always have mine with me and even when I specifically mention something is in it, no one is interested in looking at it

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 30, 2010

I've heard people on here talk about how they've used them... I've never used one apart from when I was in my Ed program.

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Apr 30, 2010

I agree with this. It helped me immensly on my last interview. But no to the glitter and glitz. A simple thing to reference like student work

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2010

I'm secondary. We do look at them sometimes, but we look past the "flashy" parts. We want substance, not fluff.

12. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Apr 30, 2010

I was part of a team interview last week, and I asked to see the candidate's portfolio. It was big and thick, and I didn't want her to think that she did all of that work for nothing. ;)

13. Chalk

Chalk Companion

May 1, 2010

Pretty much what I expected. Somehow I didn't think school admins would want to deal with umpteen hundred three ring binders of teacher applicants.

I think I will bring it with me to interviews but thats about the extent.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 1, 2010

I really only remember once having someone view my portfolio. That's when I interviewed for an English teaching position for adult education.

15. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 1, 2010

When you say "substance", what are you referring to exactly?

16. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

May 1, 2010

when I was interviewed for my current position the princ and ap poured over my portfolio, including past eval and pics.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 1, 2010

"Substance" for us includes things like evidence of modifications/differentiation in lessons, leadership opportunities, student data, evaluations, and anything that lets us know that the person has it together.

We don't care about cute bulletin boards or cookie-cutter lesson plans.

Of course, I'm secondary, too. Maybe that makes a difference.