Teaching Plot to First Grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by stephanie90102, Feb 26, 2006.

1. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Feb 26, 2006

I am a student teacher in a first grade classroom. I have been teaching the math chapters since I began, but this week, I begin teaching reading too! The focus this week is plot. I haven't ever had to teach reading before. Does anyone have any tips for me? The would be really appreciated!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2006

I teach the kids how to make 'flap books' for retelling the plot of a story. Fold a LARGE piece of construction paper in half (hot dog fold) Then hold horizontally and divide the front 'cover' into thirds. Model with the read aloud book how the beginning of the story is the first few pages...The middle is around the middle of the book and the end is the last pages. Cut only the cover so you have three equal-sized flaps. Under the first flap goes an illustration and 2 or 3 sentences retelling the beginning. The second flap is the middle of the story, the last flap is the end of the story. Each flap has a corresponding picture and sentences. Reread a class favorite story and have everyone make a flap book for it. Then you can have kids make flap books fo their independent reading books. I have my second graders do 5-part retellings- same procedure- just cut 5 flaps instead of 3.

4. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2006

We have done those same things for setting, character, problem and solution. The kids like it and they understand everything!

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2006

We've actually been teaching it in KDG.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 26, 2006

You can also use -
    Someone ______ (characters)
    wanted _______ (goal)
    but _______ (conflict)
    so _______ (resolution)