Teaching philosophy?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Turtle321, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Mar 24, 2007

I am in the process of making my portfolio to go to job interviews. I know I should put in a teaching philosophy. Will my personal philosophy help or hinder a job offer? What else should go into a portfolio? I will be graduating in May and will be attending a job fair next week. Thanks for any help.

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2007

I think that it is something that I would definately look at as I was looking at job applicants. They really want to know what you're about and if you go the extra mile to include that in your portfolio it shows you're well thought out and you know what you believe in.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2007

I'm guessing it depends on what you say and whether or not it jives with the district philosophy.

I also think it should be more or less free of buzzwords, and tell in plain words what you believe.

5. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Mar 28, 2007

this is what is in mine
    pictures of the class working in cooperative groups with a heading and statement on Cooperative Learning
    Pictures of a fun activity with a heading and statements "Learning can Be Fun"
    A picture of kids in pair reading together on the floor and heading and statement on it
    a letter to parents
    teaching philosopy
    A newspaper article of the all-school project I helped design as a student teacher
    a page from my lesson plan book
    A review form from my cooperating teacher
    A sample of a students work
    I know there is more but I do not have it in fromt of me right now

I put a heading at the top of each page and then a short paragraph above the picture related to education/teaching and the picture.

6. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Mar 28, 2007

Hey Turtle,
    I have a one page philosophy statement that I include with resume. I have to say it is really good. My father in law who was a speech writer helped me craft it, so it flows nicely. If you would like to read it I could e-mail it to you. Just send me a PM if you are interested.
    Cheers,
    Kelly

7. shrtnqt7

shrtnqt7 New Member

Mar 29, 2007

hey. may i see your teaching philosophy.. ? i am in the process of creating one for a job interview and have no idea how to begin.

8. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Mar 30, 2007

I have absolutely no idea how to write a teaching philosophy or portfolio!!! I was never asked to do that in class or from any other interviews I've been to. I have a career fair tomorrow and I'm terrified they're going to ask for one. I do not have a portfolio and I certainly do not have a teaching philosophy all typed up or even thought out for that matter. I know what my goals are, but what exactly should go in a teaching philosophy?

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2007

Hi dill,

I'm guessing it's too late; you're probably getting ready now.

Big picture: you've got to sell YOU, not your stuff. All those extras are just aides in selling YOU. So go to that job fair this morning dressed in your professional best, with whatever you have prepared, and talk yourself into a job.

For what it's worth, I've never had a portfolio or typed philosophy. When I was asked about my philosophy at a interview last year, I paused for a second and came up with one. It was free of buzzwords and reflected how I felt at that moment (and, no, I don't have a clue now what I said.) All I've ever brought to interviews has been extra copies of my cover letter and resume and confidence that I'm the right one for the job. I've always had far more offers than I can handle.

So go in there today and knock 'em dead!! Good luck!

10. kermy

kermy Companion

Apr 2, 2007

those are some great words of advise! even though they might not have been for me..thanks a lot!

11. Jnorth

Jnorth Rookie

Apr 30, 2007

How about for a new to teaching ...

Statement of Teaching Philosophy. Should I go by what I desire and currently believe or what I plan to do?:thanks:

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2007

Aren't they more or less the same?

13. Jnorth

Jnorth Rookie

May 1, 2007

No, wouldn't it depend on the school district? What I desire and believe may not be the same as the school I get hired at.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 1, 2007

If they're too far apart, I personally would re-consider the school or district. If they're similar, stress the similarities.

15. luvteach

luvteach New Member

May 2, 2007

Hi Kelly,
    I am a new member as of today! I think the idea of sending your teaching philosophy is awesome. Is it too late to have you send me a copy of what you did to compare. Thanks