Teaching P.E. on crutches

Discussion in 'General Education' started by amanda1990, Nov 27, 2021.

1. amanda1990

amanda1990 New Member

Nov 27, 2021

Can I teach P.E. on crutches? I have broken my foot. I wear an Aircast boot and am currently on crutches. I just recently started at this school and don't really want to take sick leave. Does anyone have any experience or tips regarding crutches and teaching?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 27, 2021

What are the grades that you teach? That may make a huge difference in the advice that you receive.

4. amanda1990

amanda1990 New Member

Nov 27, 2021

I'm a Middle School teacher.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 28, 2021

Are you teaching a new skill? If you aren't able to physically demonstrate it, find it on YouTube. My trainer is in another state and taught a lot of my exercises to me via YouTube. If possible, see if you can get student helpers who have a good kinesthetic sense to assist those who are figuring out how to get their bodies to complete the tasks you're asking them to learn.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2021

I was wondering how long you will be on crutches, OP. I love the You Tube suggestion above. I also think that you may be able to get some mileage out of having "guest" teachers for the day, students who can be selected based on sports/activities that they are good at. I think that you could have your guest teachers "demonstrate" based on your verbal guidance, which gets you buy in and cooperation. Not sure how long you will be off both feet, but this could buy you some time to recuperate and rethink how you want to teach going forward. Fortunately, you could do things that are holiday themed for now, since the holidays will be here soon. If you are talking about being incapacitated for months, then it might be time to ask admin for a sub part time, so that you can have some help demonstrating and shoring up skills, but not a full time sub for your entire healing process. My guess is that the students will already be willing to pitch in and help - kids are great that way. Any troublemakers in the bunch get a quick sit down and do nothing while everyone else gets to participate. That usually works wonders. Being on crutches is not much different than being a sub without real skills, and as someone who did that off and on for 10 years, it is surprising how well the students buy in and cooperate. Best of luck and hoping that you heal well.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 30, 2021

Did you already tell your school? They might have certain policies and procedures when this type of thing comes up.

8. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Nov 30, 2021

If you can't get human examples to show the correct movements, borrow a ball-jointed mannequin from the art department and move the limbs the way the kids need to move.

Any kids who can't behave themselves- do what my teachers did. Anybody who couldn't be trusted to participate had to read health, diet, and fitness articles and write an article summary. One or two of those is enough for most kids to get with the program.