Teaching Overseas

Discussion in 'General Education' started by msrosie, Oct 20, 2014.

1. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Oct 20, 2014

I've always been kind of interested in teaching overseas. Over the last couple of months, I've been doing a bit of research and I'm now seriously considering doing it.

Does anyone know any information or reputable places to actually start looking? It seems like you take one step to the left and you find yourself in a spiral of places that don't seem so legit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Oct 20, 2014

I am also considering a job overseas. I heard Search Associates is a good company. I haven't joined yet as I am thinking of starting in SY 2016-17. The cost is around $200 for one year. I have also been looking in to International Schools Services. My friend got a job in South Korea through UNI (University of Northern Iowa) fair.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 21, 2014

Check out eslcafe.com. The jobs there vary from jobs for recent college grads with unrelated BAs to professional educators with years of experience. There are several sites and organizations to teach with. Make sure you never pay to teach, as some will require that and many of them will be upwards of $1000 or $2000! A membership or job-placement fee isn't bad, as long as it is not a lot and a reputable organization.

5. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Oct 21, 2014

Hi Rosie…I'm looking to teach overseas as well. Since I've previously lived in Thailand, that's where I'll likely end up, but for now I'm keeping my options open.

I've surfed a crazy amount of forums dealing with teaching overseas and most of the posters paint a bleak picture. In fact, they complain so much about everything under the sun in the country they're in, that I cannot help but wonder what keeps them there. It can be quite depressing to read.

Most of the complaints seem to be focused around pay in relation to cost of living (impossible to save money), visa requirements, work permit requirements, lack of good teaching opportunities, and attitudes expressed towards them.

The only place I've read about that seems to be quite nice is the Middle East (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, etc…not Iraq, Iran, and Syria). Still, those countries can be dangerous for Americans. I read on the ESLCafe forum that two Americans in Qatar were shot, and one was killed (that was this year). I don't know if that is true or not, but that is what the poster reported. I can tell you with certainty that I'll never return to the Middle East for any reason, much less for a teaching position. I've spent years doing contract work in the Middle East, and I'm not crazy enough to go back to such a radical area of the world. Even taking connecting flights through Dubai gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Your best bet may be to work social networking forums (LinkedIn, Facebook, whatever) to find a mentor to guide you through the process…someone who has recently worked, or is currently working…in the country you want to work in. Applying blindly to jobs on the Internet is just setting yourself up for failure. Doing it that way would be the same as putting on a blindfold and throwing a dart at a board. Another option is to attend an ESL job fair. Those are held occasionally, but keep in mind they won't likely be in your city.

Best of luck to you!