Teaching outside certification

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachLI123, Aug 8, 2007.

1. TeachLI123

TeachLI123 Companion

Aug 8, 2007

Hi, I am new to posting but have been reading the boards for a while. I have found the information on interviewing very helpful and have had three interviews this week. I just recieved a call this morning from a school to interview next week. The problem is I'm certified in elementary education, special education (k-6) and literacy (k-6). The position they called for was a high school special education area which I'm not certified for. I accepted the interview but am questioning if I should call them back to make sure a mistake wasn't made and that they know I'm not certified in this area. What do you think??

3. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 8, 2007

I was in school to be an elementary gen ed teacher, but switched to special ed last minute before applying to graduate school. I was convinced I was going to be an elementary life skills teacher, but was offered an interview to teach high school resource room. I wasn't even going to take the interview, becuase I just KNEW that high school wasn't for me. The next day my aid position fell through, so I called up the high school, arranged for an interview, and was offered the job. In less than a week I went from elementary to high school. By the way, I was only 22, so not even much older than my students. I had a good year. I did much better than I ever thought I would, and ended up with certification to teach special ed K-21. This year I'm very excited to say that I will be going back to elementary life skills, but I got a ton of experience from teaching high school. I say go on the interview. If it was a mistake, then at least you'll have practice interviewing.

4. teach101

teach101 Companion

Aug 8, 2007

I had the same thing happen and I called to confirm they knew my situation. They were aware and still wanted to interview me (they could always get me a provisional intern credential). So good luck to you.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2007

Definitely call to confirm. Some states do offer provisional/emergency credentials, but others don't.

6. KW_P4edu

KW_P4edu Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I didn't even know you could do that!!! I could have applied for other jobs in my district if they accept that practice. Good to know for next time, THANKS!

7. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I interviewed yesterday with a simliar situation. I'm an ACP candidate and have passed the certification exams in EC-4 Generalist and Special Education EC-12. I applied for a behavior modification class for 5-6 grade.

I keep thinking, "Am I qualified for this?" The SPED exam covered English Language Arts and Reading up to 12th grade and was supposed to have calculus problems on it. (I luckily didn't get any!)

I've been getting myself ready for younger kids. I luckily, do have a son that's going into 5th grade, so I do have experience, as a mom, for this age group.

So, it would definitely be a change of plans if I get offered this position. Glad to hear others made this decision and had a positive experience.

8. pruckelshaus

pruckelshaus Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

Keep in mind that (at least in PA), time spent teaching outside of your certification area CANNOT be applied towards time required for converting Instructional I to Instructional II certification. Rules in your state may be different.

Pete

9. mrsjam525

mrsjam525 Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

this is true for NY.
    You want make sure that can offer you the position without the proper certification. Maybe call to the state or check the state's website and find out if you can teach outside of the certification or do you need a permit from the principal

good luck :D

10. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 8, 2007

I started with a Secondary Social Studies credential - and got a job as an Elementary Special Ed. teacher! I taught out of my credential area for 2 years while working towards my elementary credential. I'm now starting my 2nd year teaching General Ed. elementary and would never go back to Secondary. Being placed out of my 'area' actually helped me realize what it was I really wanted to do!