Teaching Opportunities for Older People

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Elizabeth Kiefer, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Elizabeth Kiefer

Elizabeth Kiefer New Member

Apr 24, 2019

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum!
    I taught English and German for 20 years but now I do not have as much energy as I once did and also work part time at my husband's deli. I may not be able to teach full time but I would still like to continue teaching. I would appreciate any advice from someone that has been in a similar situation or has ideas for part-time teaching opportunities to seek out! I am from PA and my number is .......... :)
    Best,
    Elizabeth

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2019
  3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 24, 2019

Hello! I wish you the best of luck in your search. I strongly recommend taking your phone number out of the post though for privacy concerns.

bella84 likes this.
  4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 24, 2019

I was thinking the same thing! Your best bet is to contact Pennsylvania's Department of Education. You might be happy as a substitute or as a part-time tutor.

bella84 likes this.
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 25, 2019

On my local school district website I just saw a posting for homebound tutors. Not in PA but it sounds like something that might interest you and could possibly ask about in your area.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 25, 2019

Elizabeth, do me a favor and edit your post. You will find the edit button under your post on the left hand side. It isn't hard to do. Once you have opened your post, please delete your phone number from what you have written. For the most part this is a group of wonderful people, but we get lurkers here and there, just like any other forum. Putting your phone number out there is not wise. Your post works just as well without your phone number in it - the members here will still leave posts here in this thread, trying to make useful suggestions. I am simply asking you to be careful with your personal information.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2019
  7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 26, 2019

Elizabeth, I removed your phone number. Not a good idea to post it.

vickilyn likes this.
  8. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Apr 29, 2019

I'm a retired teacher in Pennsylvania and if you do decide to look for fulltime, just let me advise you to stay away from any job listings where they used the code words "energetic," "dynamic," or anything like that. It means they want only young applicants. Not us.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 29, 2019

:agreed:

Reality Check likes this.
  10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 30, 2019

I wish they used those words in the descriptions for jobs at my school. I work in a special education school where you might be required to fully restrain a child or run after them if they run away, etc. They just hired a TA who is older than my mom and doesn't want to work with any "difficult" kids because she said she won't be able to handle them. Ummm...what did she think she was going to do all day? Sit and knit??? I have nothing against older employees but they need to know what they're getting into.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2019

I would look into some of the senior daycare centers, some of the local city county offices - where they have drop-in sites for adult learners. Also the libraries are definitely a good place to start hunting for alternative sites for teaching a class, definitely the park districts would be a place as well.

Look into some of the nursing homes and maybe start by asking to volunteer to be a companion... someone who is willing to read to residents. Then you could put out an inquiry for some people who are more higher functioning, would like to maybe learn a second language. You can connect with their adult children and set up some private lessons.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2019

And if you’re not entirely computer friendly, forget about it. Because nowadays everything is linked up to your class SMARTBORD, attendance, lesson plans and grades on the computer/laptop/smart phone. Very few people want to hand you a paper check, or give you information in person, or over the phone. Apply for a job, have a physical interview, and the whole on boarding/orientation will be required at your house with your computer and your printer and your paper & ink. You just show up with your ID and that’s when you can start working.

The only way to deal with some of these places is through email and on the website.

Reality Check likes this.