Teaching on Military Bases

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by FallCreekGal82, Mar 26, 2005.

1. FallCreekGal82

FallCreekGal82 Companion

Mar 26, 2005

I am looking into teaching on a Military base on the east coast, probably Savannah, GA area. I was wondering if anyone has done this. Is it different that regular public schools? Do you have any tips? Thanks in advance! :)

3. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Mar 26, 2005

I live in North Chicago, IL just minutes from the Great Lakes Naval Base. There's an elementary school, Forrestal School, over in Forrestal housing. I've never been inside the school, but can tell you that it is owned by the North Chicago School District. Therefore, the curriculum taught there is set by District 187 and not the Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA). That also means District 187 hires the teachers for Forrestal School.

So, you have to be careful when teaching at a school on a military base because it maybe a DoDEA school and it maybe a school run by the local town outside of the base. If it's the latter then you need to make sure you hold a valid teaching license for that state and can teach in that county it's located in. Then, it's just a matter of being hired by that school district to teach there.

If you're interested in teaching at a DoDEA school then you'll have to check with the DoDEA as to their hiring process. You can CLICK HERE to see a full list of DoDEA schools and then go from there.