Teaching Objective

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NoviceTutor, Jun 15, 2011.

1. NoviceTutor

NoviceTutor Companion

Jun 15, 2011

Hi Forum,
    I know that a teaching objective has to be friendly to the students, but what I am unsure about is what it looks like.

The typical ones that I see usually say something like this "Today you will learn about _(topic)_".

Can the teaching objective include specific action word? For example, can I say that today you will learn to match contractions with groups of words?

What about teaching the students a skill of how to do something? What does the teaching objective look like in that situation?

Appreciate any comments that you may have.

3. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 15, 2011

Mine look like this:

I will be able to tell time to the quarter hour.
    I will be able to write the letter C in cursive.
    I will be able to spell "ow" words correctly.

We have "I Can" statements in our district that are listed on our reports cards, so I start each week with "I will be able to" and end each week with "I can," "I can almost," or "I am still learning to" depending on each child's progress. They have a page in their data notebooks to fill in with the correct response-

I ___________________________________ tell time to the quarter hour.

Imo, it SHOULD include an action word!

4. NoviceTutor

NoviceTutor Companion

Jun 16, 2011

Now I have a better understanding of what is a teaching objective. Thanks, Queenie.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 16, 2011

just to add, we call them Learning Objectives which I think is easier to understand and work towards than Teaching Objective. . . . Students will learn . . .

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2011

When I write my objectives I write them as, "Students will be able to..." or something similar. When I am presenting a lesson to the kiddos I always, or most always, begin with... "Yesterday we learned ___________. Today we are going to learn____________."

7. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 16, 2011

:yeahthat:

When I was in undergrad I'd even narrow it in my plans to SWBAT!:) I also like the "I can" statements! :) When my kids master a certain concept I have them sign an "I can" poster. IE. When they master writing to 100 in 4 minutes, they can sign the "I can write to 100 in 4 minutes or less!" :) My kinder kids LOVE it!!!

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 17, 2011

What a GREAT idea! Not only does it provide a visual for the kids that draws them naturally toward an important goal and gives a little friendly competition as motivation, but it gives the teacher documentation of skills mastered come report card time! I am soooo stealing this idea!! :thumb::thanks:

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 19, 2011

I was taught that objectives always have to be in the following format:

"Students will _________ in order to ______". The first blank tells the activity and the second tells why.

So, for instant, if I were going to have the students cut out and create their own clocks with real moving hands I would write something like,

"The students will do an art project in order to learn where the numbers on an analog clock should be placed".

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 19, 2011

Ours are called Lesson Objectives (LOs).

They look like this: Today we will distinguish between complete and incomplete sentences.

**Since the kids will not know what distinguish means, we define it and ascertain that they understand what it means before we proceed with the lesson.

11. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jun 19, 2011

I am so glad I don't have to post these... Seems like such a pain! I am worried we will start to have to do it soon.... but hopefully not.

I also wonder about some lessons.... sometimes I like the objective to be a bit of a surprise...something the kids come to...

12. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 19, 2011

I agree! Thankfully, I don't have to list them. I mainly had to do it in college. We have state CSOs (content standard objectives) but aren't required to have them in our plans. I have a master list with CSOs in my plan book, with empty boxes beside them...I write the month in the box I teach the CSO... This way I have it documented I taught it, but it's not taking up value space in my plans! We were once told to post these "essential questions" everyday... Just thinking about all the ones I teach in the first hour of class during circle time makes me exhausted!!! Glad that blew over!

13. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 19, 2011

Admin wants us to list them. I always did - learned that from my co-operating teacher during student teaching. I feel it gives the students a goal - what they are learning or supposed to learn during that session. Sometimes I'll tell them that it will take several days to reach that objective so it will be posted for more than one day. I think it helps focus them. After bell-work review, but before the actual lesson, a student volunteer reads each objective. One that is there very often is "I can determine a word's meaning by context clues or applying my knowledge of word parts." Since they have a weekly vocab assignment, they know that this objective is a year-long one. Very often I go back to the objectives at the end of class as an exit pass exercise.

Admin. will come thru from time to time to do an informal observation of the students and will ask them what they are working on and why. Since we've reviewed the day's objectives, they are able to answer with confidence.