Teaching numbers/form them and autism

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by MsTeckel, Aug 31, 2009.

1. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Aug 31, 2009

Ok for those in younger grades or who have kids who do not know their numbers or even how to form them. How do you teach them? Do you teach them one by one or all at once? Ive been trying different things and Im on to something but somethings just not right. Here is what I do, I have these NumberTales book from Scholastic and take one book each week. I have tactile numbers and Dr. Jeans Number forming song (forget the name). Ive broken the number song into tracks (1 track for each number).

So after we finish with calendar (I teach only math), I play the Dr. Jean's song (number) for the day. Such as today we did 3. Then Id go around with a tactile number and have the kids trace it as the song plays. Then I read the story and we do the worksheet that goes with it (dont like the worksheet, but some kids need the pencil and paper practice).

Is there another way, Im trying to think of a way to make it more interactive, these kids have the attention span of a gnat.

Its hit and miss with these kids, there are so many different levels in each class (I see 8 classes a day and about 4-6 kids in each class). I know they are just sittin there listen (or not) to the book and sometimes the aides will hurry though the worksheet with the kids. Im just at odds here on how to aprroach this. We have only bout 15 min for the activity.

I want them to practice forming their numbers even if its tracing it on/in something and using pencil and paper for some kids who can. The book and worksheet is for those who really dont know their numbers, Id love for them to recognize them.

So with all that, How do you teach numbers??

3. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

AME,

I would suggest some file folder activities which number matching, finding to start out with. Once you know they can "recognize" the number, then move on to possible sequencing.

Have you tried a "sensory activity" where they form numbers using colored hair gel in zip lock bags and you can show them the way how to form the number and remind them by telling them the number. "number three (3)"

Another sensory activity is using salt, sugar, or even sand boxes to form the number with their fingers.

Use finger paints on paper for them to allow them to get used to the "direction" the number is formed too.

I would use the worksheets as "independent practice" for your students while continuing to help other students grasp the concept of "forming numbers" and it will keep them busy. Begin using a "highlighter" for them to "trace" the number so that they can actually make the number without any help. This is a great way to introduce them to worksheet work when they haven't been exposed to it.