teaching numbers at circle time

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by rosew, Sep 17, 2009.

1. rosew

rosew Companion

Sep 17, 2009

Just wondering who goes over numbers at circle time and how you go about doing this..we mentioned number bear..does anyone use pocket charts..we teach them 1-20 and Im trying to find a good way of doing this..their biggest problem is not recognizing the number..

rose

3. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Sep 17, 2009

I teach one number per week and as much as I hate to say it, flashcards every morning. It doesn't take long and they do start to recognise numbers (nearly all my children are ESL and from languages which do not have the same script as English).

We collage numbers, cut numbers up and put them back together, do one to one counting and lots of other activities. I also give them number homework (starting in week 5, so by then we are on number 5 but the homework is of week 1, that is number 1 and is therefore revision for them). They bring their homework back and each number has 2 worksheets. The first is to write the number and the second is number concept. I work at the pace of the children (they're 5 years old), so those who do their homework regularly get all the way through to number 10 (I only teach 1 - 10). I then take these number sheets, put a cover on them and they have their own number book. Those children who do not do their homework are chased up and I give parents a guilt trip about not helping their child and seeing they do their homework.

4. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Sep 17, 2009

I write down a number of how many children can go to each center each day. They hardly ever get to see numbers higher than 6, but I use other activities to teach the rest. I like the "Count Bounce" song by Greg & Steve- you could make cards or feltboard pieces to go along with the song.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 17, 2009

we play dice games for 1 to 6. After that we play the games for adding on, and we have dice that have 10 sides from the hobby store.

And we do a lot of things like count/bounce

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 17, 2009

I have large diceI made from foam blocks (from the craft dept)and I put a number on each side along with the corresponding numberof dots. They roll the dice then have to count the dots to figure out the number. We use numbers when we do calendar, we use flash cards, we MAKE flash cards as a project, we have a number line, we do a 100 days of school chart. Each of my cneters has a sign with the number of children who can play at it, and velcor spots for thier name tags. I made a number bingo game (like ABC bingo only with numbers). We count and jump or clap etc one jump or clap per number. Intergrate numbers into a lot of projects as well. For instance in Oct during Fire Safety Week, we are making dotted dalmations-- each dog will have a number and they have to put that many dots on it.

7. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 19, 2009

In addition to number bear, I teach number recognition using music and a multi-sensory approach. I have a different song for each number and I hold up a big poster with the number on it while we sing and dance the song. I have also used HeidiSongs Jumpin' Numbers and Shakin' Shapes DVD with great success. I also created an animated PPT to go with each number 0-20. My kids absolutely LOVED the HeidiSongs Numbers and learned to recognize the numbers very quickly using them.

8. CandyKisses

CandyKisses Rookie

Sep 19, 2009

We start by going around the classroom and counting items (pencils, paper clips, etc). We put them in stacks and count them as a group.

I check out a bunch of counting books from the library, and we read them during reading time. I also let them take the books home during the week, as long as they bring them back, of course :) Count With Maisy, 1, 2, 3 by Elmo, etc.... are good books.

We make a poster of the numbers 1 - 10. We tape the poster to a wall where it is in plain sight. We go over them any chance we get.

I buy educational videos about numbers that we watch before naptime. Then, we review about what we just watched.

We play with counting puzzles (putting together numbers 1 - 20, etc). We also play with tanagrams. The kids love them!

We work on one number for two weeks, reviewing for the last week. We are on week 3, so we are already on number 2, reviewing number 1. I send home a worksheet every night for them to do, and hand in for the number that we are working on and (in the second week) the number(s) we are reviewing.

We work on numbers 1-20 this year (I teach 3 year olds). I'm sure it'll take a lot of work, but it will definately be worth it next year when the 4 year old teacher realizes that all her students already know the numbers! :)

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 19, 2009

I also havenumber posters and puzzles and videos as well as the other things I already mentioned