Teaching novels

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by cat7286, Sep 22, 2007.

1. cat7286

cat7286 Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

I just started the novel The Pearl in my class and I was wondering how many of you go about teaching novels. Do you read them in class, assign as reading for homework or both? Do you give them vocabulary lists and comprehension quizzes? I was just wondering if there were any fun creative ways to go about it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Cat

3. rrgteach

rrgteach New Member

Sep 22, 2007

Literature Circles work great. Each student or group of students is assigned a task related to responding to the novel, then they meet as a group, then the class meets as a whole. There is a lot on info on the web, but I use this regularly and the kids love the process and the different jobs.:)

4. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 22, 2007

One activity I like to do is "The (setting of novel) Times"
    I assign each student a section of the newspaper, including obituaries, birth announcements, sports, local news, advertisements...etc. The class is responsible for generating a full newspaper, as if they are the reporters in that time period, along with the characters of the book. The newspaper doesn't have to be totally factual, in that the students write about things that aren't necessarily in the book, but it is all loosely based on the events in the book. They are all also required to write an interview type article, in which they pretend to be interviewing one of the main characters of the book, or the author. It is a superb activity, and the kids love it! hope this helps!

5. MsTeacher98

MsTeacher98 Companion

Sep 23, 2007

6. stlchica

stlchica Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

I would love some help in this area too. I'm and 8th grade teacher reading Walter Dean Myers' Bad Boy, and I'm looking for study guides out there. This is my first time doing a novel with a class. Would you create a study guide for each chapter?

7. cat7286

cat7286 Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

All of these ideas sound great. Thanks for all your suggestions. Reading novels is something that I love to do so I just want to get my students interested in them too!

8. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Sep 23, 2007

I really like to use Novel Ties (http://www.learninglinks.com/). They've got vocabulary and all kinds of activities for tons of novels in a chapter-by-chapter format. I really like the pre-reading activities which help prepare your readers. You purchase the book, but it's reproducible and you can create a packet for each student.

9. jwhitg

jwhitg Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

Teacherkenny - I like that idea. I have assigned "Wanted Posters" for characters in novels, had students create a journal written by one of the characters, and so on.
    Many times, we popcorn read as a class. I prefer to hear them read aloud so I am sure they are actually reading. I will, if I have the tape available, let them listen to a chapter.
    We are going to start The Watsons go to Birmingham in my 7th grade classes, and I have never used this novel before. I am looking forward to it.