Teaching Nightmares??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Kris8806, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Jun 22, 2009

I have reoccurring nightmares that my class is completely out of control and the kids are ignoring me and another teacher actually has to come in and reprimand my class for me. HORROR! Before the start of my first year teaching I dreamt that my classroom would not be ready for the first day or that I would have no lessons planned. This year it's nightmares of an unruly class.

I know that I'm just subconsciously stressing about classroom management but does anyone else have crazy dreams??? Or is it just me? :blush:

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 22, 2009

It's too soon to start nightmares, wait until the end of July or the beginning of August.

I'm starting my 21st year this year, and I still get butterflies the night before. It's all the unknowns.

Read up on classroom management if you need to and check out the threads on behavior here at A to Z.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2009

I was having a ton of those types of dreams right after we were done with school. Talk about stressful!!!

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2009

The only time I had nightmares was during my second year of teaching. I had two students that were absolutely awful, and my nightmares were always centered around them.

6. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

I actually had a dream about school last night myself. Only my dream was that three more students were added to my class (which would be fabulous, since they are threatening to close my school in the future for low enrollment). Way too early for school dreams (and I just finished my first year!)

7. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Jun 22, 2009

Thanks everyone! I totally agree that it is way too early for classroom related nightmares. At the rate I'm going, I'll be crazy by August. The plus out of my nightmares is that I am going to have the most detailed well-thought out classroom management plan ever! :lol:

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2009

My second year teaching I had a nightmare right before school started. It was about me and the secretary who was not being very nice when I couldn't find my room.

9. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 22, 2009

Me too! I guess I was having withdrawals from the students. :)

10. iheartsped

iheartsped Rookie

Jun 22, 2009

I had one few days after school ended. I had several new students. I didn't realize this until months later!

I also didn't notice that there was ANOTHER teacher in my room. She said, how long is that agenda for September going to stay on the board? It was Christmas in my dream lol.

11. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2009

I had that dream about the secretary......I.......she.......no wait.....
    never mind:whistle:

12. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jun 22, 2009

I had those every day for two weeks before school started...thank goodness they never came true!

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 22, 2009

I am forever dreaming about school-and my dreams are wild! I am usually doing things in my dreams that I would never do-laying on the bookcase while on my cell phone talking to a student on her cell phone; dragging a student down the hallway by his ear; sitting in my desk chair while my class is completely out of control; and last night's-starting the school year with a girl who was removed from my class this past year (she was supposed to be on home school instruction), and she was a dressed in a girly outfit, acting sweet-but she already had the other girls in her gang.
    Needless to say, I need more summer vacation!

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2009

I always get my nightmares at the same time every year, throughout the year at the same times.

* my room isn't ready when school starts
    * the kids won't listen to anything I tell them to do
    * my class is made up of all the hoodlums from years past
    * I'm late for work on the first day.
    * It's the day writing portfolios are due, and I can't find mine.

15. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2009

I've taught 26 years, and I still have dreams like that occasionally, along with a few other recurring dreams from various parts of my life! Then, when I go to school the next day, it seems pretty calm! And stephenpe, get your mind out of the gutter!

16. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

Reality nightmare- getting poked in the eye by bipolar student who laughed once teacher cried because there was blood.

Real nightmare-

students out of control.
    VP tackled a kid for not taking off his hat.
    forgetting to go to school.

17. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jun 23, 2009

I too have the dreams. Not during the summer but right before school starts and sometimes during the year. I dream about out of control kids and being late. When I went to college I use to dream I was in the hallway of one my classes and I would realize I had not been to that class in a month. I start to think the professor will never believe I just forgot to go to that class.

18. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 23, 2009

I have nightmares about having my class be late--for lunch, for the bus, etc. And for some reason things keep coming up that keep us from leaving and no matter how hard I try to get gone, I can't.

19. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Jun 23, 2009

I keep dreaming about school now that we're on summer break. I never had any dreams about it during the year though. I think it's just still on my mind and maybe subconsciously I'm thinking about next year already. :)

20. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Jun 23, 2009

I've had quite a few-- most often before school starts in August, but sometimes during the year as well. One of my favorites was the one where the school band was in the back of my classroom and kept interrupting me by bursting into song. I've had many "totally unprepared" dreams as well, where I was reassigned to a different class at the last minute, or didn't even recognize the textbook and had no idea what page we were on.

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 23, 2009

I don't have those dreams yet but I am nervous and worried I won't be ready for my first year especially since I am spending the entire summer stressing and cramming for college courses.

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 23, 2009

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

23. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Jun 24, 2009

Too funny. I have dreams like that. Where I forget to collect my students in the morning or I forget to take them to their specials. :whistle:

24. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Jun 24, 2009

I remember one time the night before a field trip I dreamt that I lost one of my students on the field trip. Thankfully the field trip went fine.