Teaching new word wall words

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by amersk, Oct 20, 2009.

1. amersk

amersk Rookie

Oct 20, 2009

How do you introduce and teach new word wall words. I feel like my students arent getting as much out of them as they should.
    Thanks for any help.

3. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 24, 2009

I was at Dollar Tree today and they had lots of word cards. I was impressed.

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2009

we gather on the carpet and I introduce each word and show them the word. We the arm spell the words. After that, we snap clap each word. Snap the whole word and clap each letter (3 times). We also look closely at the words for the tricky parts. We decide what pieces might trip them up and I highlight those parts with a highlighter before putting them up on the word wall.

6. aek471

aek471 Rookie

Oct 25, 2009

I just started this a few weeks ago, which I got from another
    1st grade teacher. On Monday, I introduce the week's word wall words. Then, I put each word on an index card and clip it to a lanyard. Then I choose students to wear the lanyard and the word becomes their "name" for the day. So instead of calling somone Joey all day, I'll call him "make." They LOVE it. We do it each day of the week for the week's words. By the end of the week, most of my kids know the words b/c they've been calling their friends these words all week.

7. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Nov 3, 2009

I have a poem of the week that I choose my word wall words from. We read it everyday during calendar time, mark the words with highlighting tape, and practice, practice,practice. It seems to help that the words are being used in context as they're learning them.

8. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Rookie

Mar 23, 2010

word wall words

On Monday morning I play "hangman" with the kids (although I don't call it "hangman"). It's just called our spelling game. You could make up your own simple drawing (i.e. man in a boat) if you are not comfortable with hangman. I play against the kids. If they get the word, they win a point. If they don't, I win. The love beating me!!!! I love it too :)

We do shaving cream spelling once a month. Put a lump of shaving cream on the students desks and they write the spelling words in the shaving cream with their finger.

We do plasticine spelling. Give each student some plasticine and have them make the words.

We play "star". Students stand in a circle and the first student says the first letter of one of the spelling words. The student to the left says the next and so on around the circle until the word is completed. The next person says star and gets a free pass. Once we are down to two super spellers I throw other words in there from past weeks or words that they have to sound out.

We also cut the words out of magazines and newspapers and glue them on white paper.

Have fun!!!

9. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Rookie

Mar 23, 2010

LOVE your lanyard idea!!!! I'm going to borrow it :)

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2010

Me too!

11. jcernig

jcernig New Member

May 21, 2010

If you're interested in sight words software you should check out Samson's Classroom. It's works great with my students because we get the computer lab at the begining of week. I'm sure you could make use of it even if you don't have a full lab. They each get on-line accounts, so they can use it at home too ...I've had parents tell me that their kids beg them to use the computer because they love to play! It's the best resource I've found for teaching sight words.

Jessie :)

12. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Jun 3, 2010

"Read Clap Write"

Write the word on board - read it all together, clap out each letter, then the kids write the word in their word book.

I also have them write the words with play-doh sometimes.

13. ilovetoread

ilovetoread Rookie

Jun 9, 2010

I play "I Spy" with the word wall words after recess/lunch most days as a quick way to get the kids back to thinking mode. Each kid has a small piece of scrap paper they grab on the way in the room. I'll start the year easy with something like "I spy a word wall word that has 3 letters" or I'll draw the shape of the word on the board. They choose a word wall word that would fit the clue and write it down. I then write the word on the board, if they have it right, they give themselves a star, if not, they scratch it out to fix it. I make it harder throughout the year and incorporate things like rhyming words, synonyms/antonyms, root words, etc.

14. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Jun 10, 2010

I've never taught anyone how to read, so I don't know how it is done, but does anyone clap out the phonemes, or somehow break down the words into phonemes?

just curious.

15. ilovetoread

ilovetoread Rookie

Jun 21, 2010

I don't clap out words. When I come to a word with a digraph or dipthong, I underline that part of the word when I put it on the word wall. For example: then. Does this help?

16. lareed

lareed Companion

Jun 21, 2010

I play this game with my class too! They beg me to play it all year long! I start by picking a word and then winner guesser then gets to pick. The hardest part was teaching them how to look for a word inconspicuously! They used to stare right at their word and then everyone knew it! I used number of vowels or consonants and number of syllables to describe the words too.

Learning new word wall words in general, I have them repeat after me usually the first 2 days, varying the voices they use. They love using the monster or ghost voice (among other voices like chipmunk, high pitch, etc). We also clap-spell the words. Lots of repetition. By the third day I start having the kids use them in sentences.

17. teachred

teachred New Member

Jun 29, 2010

I introduce my new word wall words by letting my students play a game of "slap word". Two battle with a fly swatter, trying to slap the word that I have called before the other one can. The loser gets to hold the word up for the class to recite and spell aloud. I use 10 words at the beginning of the year and 20 by the end of the year. The next day we put the words on our word of the week chart and alphabetize. Throughout the week we make sentences with words, play word bingo and more. When I put the words on the main word wall. I start on one end of the room while students are at desk and have them pass the words (one at at time) from person to person until the word ends up with me and I staple it onto the word wall. They are to look at and say the word as they pass the word. Another really neat thing to do later in the year is to have a leader who recites the words from the word wall for each letter in his/her name. Then all students are to write 3 words from word wall for each letter in leader's name. They then write a sentence for word of their choice for a word from each letter of leaders name.