Teaching Mythology!

Discussion in 'High School' started by Db8Coach, May 1, 2013.

1. Db8Coach

Db8Coach Rookie

May 1, 2013

Next fall, I will be coaching debate (my first love) and teaching high school Mythology at a brand-new school.

I am really excited, but have never taught an entire Mythology course. Individual curriculum units as part of World History or English courses, yes, but an entire class? No. I was hired for this particular course because of my combo History/English BA.

Has anyone ever taught a Mythology course? How did you structure it? I basically have carte blanche on what I teach, as it is coded as a senior-level English elective. I know I want to make it a survey course covering several cultures.

Any and all input is more than welcomed :)

3. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

May 1, 2013

I've taught it as a unit, but not as a stand-alone course, so I'm not going to be much help to you in that regard.

I will tell you that you have a wealth of video materials to select from which will really help you to enhance the readings.

I've always felt that electives should be fun courses for the kids. Not cumbersome, labor-intense subjects like the core curriculum. That would be my other suggestion....keep it as light as possible and enjoyable.
    :cool:

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 1, 2013

Honestly, this sounds like a fun course! You really could have a blast with the seniors.

I might structure it using a time frame...maybe following world history as you introduce the myths. Then you can branch off into different cultures and compare and contrast some of the cultures using the myths.

Having the students create their own myths might be a lot of fun. Maybe since they are seniors, they could do some about their school. We did a two week seminar in writing myths about our high school as an intercession type of class my senior year. It was a riot to read the myths about the creation of places and favorites over the years.

5. Cicero

Cicero Companion

May 1, 2013

Mythology as a stand alone course is not a super uncommon thing from what I have seen.

One teacher I know structured the beginning of the course as comparing "creation of the world" myths from a variety of world cultures. Then she divided it into units examine specific areas/time periods and their mythology. The bulk of the time was spent on classical mythology, but I think that was a personal preference as she is a Latin teacher. There is also a huge amount of material for that as well.

A project she did that the students really loved was finding mythology in daily life -- references in pop culture, advertising, literature, etc. I was in the room during one of these presentations and was very interesting. I think having a good background in mythology helps students be apart of the secret society that gets all of these references. :)

6. Db8Coach

Db8Coach Rookie

May 27, 2013

Thanks for the input, everyone! I'm really looking forward to next year. :)

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 27, 2013

If you don't have it, The Illustrated Dictionary of Mythology by Philip Wilkinson is a good reference point for world myths. It'll give you a jumping point to plan from, but it doesn't include long stories.

8. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

May 27, 2013

I would think it would be a good idea to check with the other English teachers who have taught some of this content. You don't want to cover the odyssey if other teachers have done it. With these students before.(for example)

I never taught mythology but I did take it as a course in high school. I remember that we watched a few films and read a book that I cant remember.(it was more of a overview of mythology. I just remember it talked about Thor, Asgaard, and other myths.)

9. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Jun 7, 2013

I have taught it! Once for HS and twice for MS. I'll send you the syllabi for both if you PM me. What I did was organize it by geographical area, examining one area's culture and mythology per unit, and asking the same Big Questions in each unit.

10. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 7, 2013

Well I took it in HS! It was such a great class. My teacher had a lot of enthusiasm for the content and it really got us excited. He gave us quizzes but would put smiley face stickers on them if we did well. Even as a senior I loved that!

11. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 7, 2013

I taught multiple sections of Classical Mythology for several years as an adjunct while in grad school. I loved it!

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 7, 2013

Perhaps look at a college syllabus for it, if only just for a list of topics to cover.