Teaching my first AP class in 2008/2009

Discussion in 'High School' started by MathTcher, Jul 18, 2008.

1. MathTcher

MathTcher New Member

Jul 18, 2008

I've got AP Statistics this fall and I went to one of the College Board workshops (it was REALLY good). Although I'm OK with most of the material (I'm still studying and re-understanding it from 10+ years ago in college), I don't really know what to expect with AP students.

Because we're on block schedule, I'm expecting them to read through sections the night before and do a lot of real world data collecting outside of class. But I know that a lot of them will be involved in band, football, baseball (our school practices ALL year for that), drama, etc. and will also have other AP courses, too.

I don't want to have unrealistic expectations - some of these kids may be taking my class as THEIR first AP course...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (and if you TEACH AP Stats, I would love to be your new best friend... ha ha ha).

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2008

I'm teaching AP Latin IV next year, and I have similar concerns with my own students.

The fact is that AP is meant to be a rigorous course, and students have to be expected to put in a certain amount of work outside the classroom.

What do the other AP teachers at your school have to say?

4. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Jul 18, 2008

What textbook will you be using? I use The Practice of Statistics, 3rd Edition with my AP Stats class. The previous AP teacher told me that she limited real world data collection, because it was too time-consuming and she found it easier with textbook problems on interesting subjects.

What kinds of questions do you have about the course? It's good to hear from another Stats teacher.

5. Druin

Druin Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

I am about to start my 9th year with AP Stats. I use Stats: Modeling the World by Bock, Velleman, and DeVeaux as my course text. I would love to visit with you, feel free to email at anytime!