Teaching multi grade classrooms.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss Nelson, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Miss Nelson

Miss Nelson Rookie

Apr 24, 2010

I have seen lots of multi grade classroom ( grade 1/2 etc...). I have never taught a multi grade classroom. How do you teach these classrooms? I am interested to see how these classrooms work

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2010

I am a montessori teacher, and have always taught multi-aged classes. Montessori is a little different, though, in that we have lots of specific materials for the children to use and that's their work.

Basically, children in our spaces are given lessons based on the curriculum, shown the material, and then are required to do the work on their own within a week and put the work in their math notebook, cultural notebook, language notebook, etc. depending upon what the lesson was. Different lessons and works are geared for different age levels, and when I'm giving a lesson to first level children, the second and third level children are working on their assignments and getting work done. When I'm not giving lessons, I'm checking in with different children and helping them stay on task and get work completed, helping them learn time management.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 24, 2010

Miss Nelson, will you be teaching the kids separately based on their grade? Or are you able to make small groups for different lessons based on their developmental readiness? It makes a big difference on the advice to give.

Tracykaliski, I am interested and learning from you. What ages do you have, and what would an example be of a lesson, followed by the independent work. How do you differentiate for the different students?

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2010

I currently teach 3-6 yr olds, but have taught 6-9 yr olds as well, where they had lessons and assignments that were independent. It's amazing the way it works for those kids.

Mostly, first, second and third level children are grouped according to age. For example, first level children (1st grade) might be working on singular and plural nouns. I would give the lesson on singular and plural, we'd talk about it together, and they'd have an example of singular and plurals. The follow up assignment would be matching cards that have things like "box" and "boxes" and "sheep" and "sheep", etc., and they'd have to match the cards that go together. In their language notebook, they'd have to label the page "Singular and Plural Nouns" and then choose 5 matches to copy into their notebook. If a child is struggling, I would meet with him/her 1:1 and differentiate with him/her individually. That's the beauty of a Montessori environment... there's lots of time for children to work independently and that provides 1:1 time for teachers to work with children who need additional support.

Math is done every day, silent reading is done every day, and I did a daily message on a white board for them to write in their journals while children were arriving for the first 15-20 minutes. That also gave me a chance to meet with some children first thing in the morning to check in and make sure they knew what they had to do that day.

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 24, 2010

Very good information, Tracykaliski, thank you. Another questions, what do you do with kids who finish early? Do they have independent projects or something to work on?

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2010

There's always something to do! :lol: I had extra work I would sometimes give the children who finished their work plan for the day early, or I had work I gave back to them to re-do because they rushed through it and needed to do it differently.

We also had fun, educational stuff for them to do like wedgits, marble runs, something called "a ball of whacks", etc. They loved it.

8. Miss Nelson

Miss Nelson Rookie

Apr 26, 2010

It is small group learning based on readiness. I think the children loop with the teacher so I take it that the older ones are familiar with the routines and can serve as peer mentors.

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2010

Are you asking me? If so, yes....the older children know the routines and the new children get into the flow very nicely.