Teaching move?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wcormode, Apr 11, 2013.

1. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Apr 11, 2013

I am a certified high school math teacher. I am just finishing up my third year. Last year I began teaching computer classes and this year I was instrumental in getting a 1:1 program approved. I have been in charge of getting all of the iPads ready as well.

I just found out today that it is a possibility that I might teach for half the day and then do technology for the other half. There is also a good chance that none of my classes will be teaching math. Could this be a problem for me? Should I take a praxis?

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2013

Is there a praxis for teaching technology? If you don't teach math, what would you be teaching?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2013

This probably depends a lot on your state licensing requirements. I think that you should talk to your supervising administrator or union rep if you have one.

5. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Apr 11, 2013

I would be teaching computer applications courses. I don't know if there is a praxis for that or not. It is a graduation requirement but I have been teaching it for two years now.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2013

Does your state have a license/endorsement/certification for computer applications?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 12, 2013

In many states one possibility would be Career and Technology Education, or something like it; I'm pretty sure Praxis has at least one test for it or for something under a similar name. You'd need to study up on terminology for the parts of this that aren't computer applications - we're talking wood/metal/auto shop, construction trades classes, high school level engineering classes, that sort of thing.

Another possibility is that Kansas might (also) handle this under Business Education, especially if your primary focus is teaching apps rather than programming or computer electronics. In that case you would need to swot up on the terminology for accounting, economics, management, marketing, and the like. Praxis should have a test for that.

A third possibility is that Kansas allows people who have full-on certification to add something that may be called an endorsement or an authorization - anyway, something that you can't get without a full certificate but that allows you, once you've passed test X and paid fee Y, to teach limited content in a certain domain that would otherwise require another certificate.