Teaching Money...How do I teach change?

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Mrs. Gabe, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Mrs. Gabe

Mrs. Gabe Rookie

Oct 13, 2006

I have been working with students on counting coins and my CT wants me to move into teaching the students about making change. I have no idea where to even start. Does anyone have any suggestions or resources that might help? :confused: Should I start with having them make change from different coins first and then move into making change with dollars? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

3. biiiidy

biiiidy Rookie

Oct 17, 2006

Have your students already mastered counting coins? How many coins can they successfully add? (i.e. combinations of 2-3 coins, 4 or more coins...)

Some of my students are learning about how to determine their change amount. I am having them learn a formula (The amount you paid minus the item cost = your change). Right now, they have practice worksheets to help reinforce the formula. Once they get the formula down, I'll have them work with money manipulatives.

What grade are your students in?

If you would like to see a copy of the worksheets I have used so far, send me an e-mail (autodetect1@ aol . com), and I'd be happy to share!

Good luck!

4. canadasped

canadasped New Member

Oct 27, 2006

shoe box type task

I created a shoe box type task to teach change. I cut out various pictures from catalogues with their prices. I stuck them onto index cards and wrote "If you had $6 what would your change be?" I put the index card in an envelope.

I expect the child to read the card, use a calculator to find the change and then put the correct change in the envelope.

I also used various worksheets and pretend store to practice the skill.