teaching math

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by heatherhawaii, Aug 4, 2008.

1. heatherhawaii

heatherhawaii Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

HI I will be just teaching math this year and I was wondering if some taught whole group, and some maybe did small group since everyone's learning at different levels. Could anyone give me some ideas or suggestions on how they teach math? Thank you

3. MsRafuse

MsRafuse Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I typically start as whole group and check for understanding. The students that are doing well move on to do some sort of written assessment so that I can look at it later and be sure they get it. I then work with the smaller group that needs extra help. I pretty much continue this utnil everyone has it.

4. AnnK

AnnK Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I always start with whole group instruction. Some lessons are easy and this is all that is needed. For our more difficult concepts (especially ones that need more than one day) I have students who feel that they understand work with partners and the ones who are having difficulty can come and work with me. The pairs have to check in with me after so many problems of independent work to make sure they are on track. This year I will have a TA and Special Ed teacher who will be able to help, so I am hoping to do more work with small groups, particularly an enrichment group. Sometimes I preteach the lessons to a small group of students who can then later work with a student who only needs a moderate amount of help, or they can do some enrichment work at a higher level, or they can work on word problems.

5. heatherhawaii

heatherhawaii Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

Thanks so much, all the tips help so much!!

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 7, 2008

Teach in large group first.

Division. Use white boards.

***White boards are great and expensive. Go to the lumber yard buy a sheet of smooth white paneling. ---called white tile board…. Our lumber yard cut it up in smaller sizes free. (about 11 by 12 inches) don't remember for sure. Or maybe your high school shop teacher will cut it for you. Next with sand paper sand around the edges just enough to take off the sharp edge. A boys top of a sock ---makes a good eraser. You need a white board, a white board marking pen and sock top for each student. Teacher gives a math problem, spelling word or whatever. When student has an answer they hold up the board. You say correct erase or try again.

7. TeachyBon

TeachyBon Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I use whole group instruction for review or easier skills. For trickier skills, I use small group. I usually have 4 to 5 groups, one group learning the skill with me, one group working on the skil after working with me , a group reviewing some other skill and a group on the computer. One the computer, its either dealing with the new skill, or previewing an upcoming skill. I use interactive games (its amazing what you can Google!) for this. When I finally get around to teaching that skill, the students have at least SEEN it before, in a non-threatening hopefully fun way. Hope that helps!

Also, I love the white boards for SO many things, but my problem is the MARKERS! They are pretty expensive, compared to other classroom consumables, and they dry out so darn fast! :(