Teaching Lord of the Flies

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ms.irene, Apr 21, 2015.

1. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2015

I was so excited to teach this novel to my 10th graders at the start of the year, and now that it's here, I feel like I've run out of steam/good ideas! Have you taught this novel to HS students before? Any good suggestions? I have already done with this class: readers' theater, inner/outer circle discussions (Harkness discussion), formal research paper, informal research projects, analysis of everything I can think of lol...Not that I can't use these strategies again, but for our last novel study, I'd love to shake things up a bit. Any brilliant or "novel" ideas? ;)

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2015

I'm just getting ready to start it next week. I haven't taught it in years, but as I gather resources, I'll post again. Have you checked the English companion ning?

4. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Apr 22, 2015

Have you done art projects along with it? Or choice projects? Or maybe assign a group of students for specific chapters and they are the teachers for that chapter?

There's also the film? Perhaps show the film and maybe ask students to create a short video clip of specific scene from the book?

Geez, I love LOTF!

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2015

Great ideas, linswin! I've never seen the film but I can actually remember students making fun of it when I was in HS -- but maybe that was the original 60's version? I heard there was a remake, is it well-done?

Mrs. K, I don't know what a ning is but I will check it out! I love learning new stuff on this board :)

I was looking at lesson ideas online and there was one thing I saw in which you create a "mock trial" with groups for Jack, Ralph, and judges who question the character groups.

I also feel like I need to do something with vocabulary since I know the vocab in this novel will be a challenge for students. I've never found a way to address vocabulary that I love, though.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 22, 2015

Have you done literature circles? My students love them, and all but a few of them get really into the discussions. I then look at the words that they put down and make vocabulary quizzes and lessons from that.

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 22, 2015

I'm not a high school teacher so take this as you will, but have you read Under the Dome by Stephen King?

If so...

Maybe it would be interesting to have them read excerpts (It's a LONG book) from it and compare and contrast it to the LOTF? They have very different plots, but similar themes. I'm sure he must have been influenced by LOTF when he wrote the book.

8. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2015

I haven't done lit circles with this class yet, but they would probably do a good job with them and it might help get more of them talking (they are a pretty reticent bunch). I like the idea of making vocab quizzes from the words they choose!

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2015

This is kind of funny... I was searching today online for an opening activity where you leave students alone with balloons while you "run down the hall for a minute," and I found a post on here that I had made back in 2011! It was several activities I had found on the English Companion Ning, by the way.

10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2015

Oh this sounds like a recipe for disaster...what is supposed to happen with the balloons?

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2015

Hopefully, anarchy reigns and the kids break each other's balloons! Then you have a discussion about rules, civilization, etc.

12. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2015

Mrs. K, that is so funny! The group I have, the balloons would probably all still be intact though...It would be an interesting experiment though!