Teaching Letters

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by allyson206, Sep 25, 2008.

1. allyson206

allyson206 Rookie

Sep 25, 2008

Okay, for my special ed class we have to tutor a child. She does not know her letters except A. But everything else is also A. I was going to work on the letters with her. I was going to start with A,B,C, and D.
    I was going to have objects that start with those letters and use flash card to practice. then we are also working on colors and she will be asked to color the letters certain colors. Does anybody think that would work and help her. We don't get feedback on our lessons at our school for some reason.

3. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Sep 26, 2008

I think it might be confusing to her if she is to be learning colors AND letters...to have to color in the letter could give her name confusion. You know, between A and red or something. Are you trying to teach her letters or letter sounds or both? If just for recognition, then having the objects that begin w the letter won't be very beneficial since she probably wouldn't put A = /a/ = apple together, you know? See a post that we did below about teaching 3-year-olds the letters - lots of good ideas in there! :)

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 26, 2008

How old is this child? How old is she developmentally. She might not be ready for the letters.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 26, 2008

The first letters a lot of kids learn are the letters in their names... so instead of starting with the alphabet in order, you might try starting with those...