Teaching letters and handwriting

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Kat03785, May 13, 2009.

1. Kat03785

Kat03785 Rookie

May 13, 2009

I have a question about how to teach both the letters and handwriting. At our school we use the Treasures reading series and I've been using their pace to teach letters. We also use d'nealian handwriting and have been using that pace to teach handwriting. What ends up happening is that the letter we are working on in language arts and the letter we are working on for handwriting are different.

I see the benefits in the pacing of the reading series because kids are able to start forming small words after learning a few letters and the pacing of d'nealian with fine motor development. I'm thinking that it would be much nicer and cohesive if we just did one letter for both each week. How do you structure this in your classroom? I'm trying to get my act together for next year so any advice is appreciated!

3. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

May 13, 2009

I go by what letter we are doing in Treasures. I add in the handwriting pages from learningpage.com (its free to sign up for). We do the tracing page on monday and the "on your own" page on friday. It seems to work plus all the extra we do with centers, workbook pages and other activities.
    When there are 2 letters in a week for treasures I stretch it into 2 weeks so each letter ahs its own week!

4. janney

janney Cohort

May 13, 2009

We do two letters a week and practice handwriting with those letters. We had to skip around in the handwriting book. A positive that I have seen with doing this is that most of my students now know how to use an index and find a page number on their own.