Teaching Letter Writing ~Friendly, Persuasive, Informational & Thank You's

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Youngteacher226, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2008

Hello all,
    How have some of you taught a unit on letter writing?? What are some fun & interesting ways you have explained writing different types of letters? I want to teach my kids about writing four diff. kinds: friendly letters, persuasive letters, informational letters & thank you letters. I know I'll probably do most of my teaching through shared writing & interactive writing of real letters, but how do you teach the formats? Who do we write persuasive letters to? (political leaders, the principal, mom/dad). I just need some real fun & cool ideas to make this unit fun!!!

3. imalith

imalith Rookie

Jan 2, 2008

It is a good idea to teach a unit on letter writing. I'm always amazed at how many kids cannot write a proper letter or even address an envelope.

I haven't ever taught a seperate unit on letter writing. I have taught students letter writing during other units. During our persuasive writing unit students wrote persuasive letters. The first was a practice that dealt with a pretend scenario. It was a complaint situation and they had to persuade the business owner for compensation.

The second persuasive letter was created more independently. Students wrote to someone of their choice to persuade them. Usually this was to the principal for longer lunch time or the cafeteria for a certain type of food. These are difficult to grade because they need to get mailed in a timely fashion and going through the writing process (and grading process) takes time.

We write thank you letters throughout the year. We simply use a graphic organizer for these.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 4, 2008

For the persuasive I have my students write to fictional companies (or real ones but never send the letters) about something they pretend to purchase and has broken. They are trying to persuade the manufacturer to replace the item. For Thank you letters, this would be a good time to have them write letters thanking various volunteers around the building or reletives for gifts they have received. Another good time is after a successful field trip to the place you visited and anyone who specifically helped your group.

5. MyMulligan

MyMulligan Rookie

Jan 4, 2008

I'm a career changer getting my MAED in secondary Communication Arts & Literature. In my General Methods class this semester, I designed a unit around letter writing. The idea was that it would be the culmination of a semester theme on heroes, but it can stand alone as well.

In the unit, students become heroes in their own community. They research local causes, write letters (or e-mails) requesting information from local organizations, conduct interviews and, finally, write a persuasive letter to get others interested/involved in the cause. The unit was written for grades 9-12, but many of the ideas could probably be modified to fit a younger age group. PM me if you'd like to see it. Would love to hear other interesting ideas for teaching letter writing!